jeudi, avril 01, 2010

Oven-baked Pork Ribs

Oven-baked Pork Ribs
You have heard of Italians driving dangerously. I drove to the Grand Emilia Mall yesterday morning and was stuck in a major jam in the tangenziale. It was jammed in both directions because there were a total of 3 car accidents before 9am in the stretch between where I started out and where I was going. In the afternoon, I was driving the kids to tennis and there was a car behind who honked every car in front of it to give way and let it pass! I had the fright of my life and luckily realised in time what was happening and stopped to let it squeeze pass (the road was one-way and surrounded by the rare concrete pavements on both sides). All that in just one day.

The kids are at home today since their Easter holidays have started. I have the electrician coming in this afternoon to install my new stove, so I've decided to cook lunch in the oven today.

CT hasn't shared the exact measures and method of making his pork ribs with me, but I've more or less understood the principle of doing things his way and have decided to experiment with making my own Oven-baked Pork Ribs. I made a few batches a little differently each time and the following is what I think comes closest to CT's costillas.

2 bay leaves, 4-5 Garlic cloves, a generous handful of fresh parsley (all chopped). Lightly fried in a bit of oil and added to 4 Tsp Salt dissolved in 1 cup of hot Water. Top up with enough cool water to cover the ribs (keep them in racks). Marinate the racks of ribs overnight.

Fresh ribs in freshly-prepared marinade

The next day - water changed colour.

After 1 day

Put a little water in the roasting pan together with the ribs. Bake in a hot 190°C oven for 15-20 minutes. A nice garlic aroma filled the kitchen as the ribs started to cook. Turn off the heat and leave the ribs in the oven for 3 hours to cook in its own steam. This way the meat doesn't dry out and will be very tender.

Dribble olive oil over the ribs and grill them for 10 minutes under a hot grill before serving.

Debone the ribs which should be easy. Keep them in racks.

Brush the meat generously with BBQ Sauce. They go well with steamed butter rice.

You can use the marinade for other white meat like turkey or chicken. And the used marinade can be used again for a few days according to CT.

Aucun commentaire: