vendredi, avril 09, 2010

Ayam Goreng (Indonesian Fried Chicken)

Ayam Goreng

They were selling whole chickens cut into pieces and that gave me the idea to make Ayam Goreng. It's not something I make often as I hate having oil splutter all over my kitchen. More importantly, my current girth wouldn't forgive deep-fried foods, but since I'm still in my I'll-start-my-diet-tomorrow mode, I thought I could maybe just indulge this once. Besides, the kids are at home this week.

A common way to make this fried chicken would be to marinate and then fry it. I have decided to marinate the chicken for a few hours, boil it and then fry it. I felt that the spices are better absorbed this way and the chicken more tender - provided that they were not boiled at high heat.

Ayam Goreng :

1 whole Chicken cut into pieces
1 Lemongrass stalk (bashed and sliced into smaller pieces)
1 small piece Ginger
1 small Piece Galangal
1 Shallot
5-6 Garlic cloves
2 Tsp ground Turmeric
2 Tsp ground Coriander seeds
1 Tsp ground Cumin seeds
1 Thai Chilli
1 Tsp light Soy Sauce
Juice from 1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Bay leaves
Hot water
Oil for deep frying

Rub the chicken pieces with the salt, pepper, ground coriander, cumin and turmeric.

Ground or pound the lemongrass, ginger, galangal, garlic and chilli into a rough paste. Add the soy sauce and lemon juice and marinate the chicken pieces in it for a few hours.

Heat up a little oil in a wide pot and place the chicken pieces together with the marinade and bay leaves in it. Lightly fry the chicken pieces till the spices are fragrant and then pour in enough hot water to just cover them. Cover the pot and simmer till the chicken is just cooked. Remove the chicken pieces and set aside to let them cool and relax.

Heat up enough oil for deep frying and deep fry the chicken pieces till they are crispy - which shouldn't take long as they are already cooked. Serve hot.

Aucun commentaire: