dimanche, avril 25, 2010

Hub's Birthday Lunch

Hub's Birthday Cake

The birthday is really tomorrow, but you need a Sunday to celebrate it. Not even a Saturday since they all want to play golf. We had a small affair this year and invited only 2 families making us 6 adults and 7 children - manageable if the weather is good.

Our lovely guests

It was touch and go where the weather was concerned since it had rained the whole of Friday and Saturday. But I was optimistic that the weather would be fine come Sunday noon and my faith had been rewarded. Lovely afternoon today.

I made a simple lunch :

For the adults :

Mini-Quiches

Bacon-red onion-cheese-tomato-basil-egg

Champagne Dom Pérignon


Foie Gras Raviolis in a light Broth

Freshly-wrapped

In its broth

Château Pipeau Saint-Émilion Grand Cru 2000

Cumin and Coriander Beef Curry

Tandoori Prawns

In its marinade

Freshly baked

Jeera Rice

Amarone della Valpolicella

Cheese Platter

Home-made Bread



Strawberry Cake

Vanilla sugar

Mascarpone, vanilla bean, rum and whipped cream filling

Un peu de masonry (Hub's contribution)

Fraisier léger (I need the right moulds)

Champagne Moët et Chandon

For the children :

Sausages

Raw Vegetable Platter

Roast Free-range Chicken


Garlic-butter-herbs

Out of the oven

Fusilli with Butter

Chocolate Swissroll (made by GA - forgot to take a picture)

I did the bulk of the cooking today, though I half-cooked the curry, made the sponge for the cake and kneaded the bread yesterday. I haven't bought Hub a present since I buy him stuff all through the year whenever I come across something that he would need or like and at the moment he has everything he needs (except a diet that works and maybe more free time). But he loves spending time eating, chatting (and especially drinking) with friends so I figured that it would be best to throw him a Birthday lunch.

Time flies, he turns 44 tomorrow. Sometimes it feels funny knowing that you've met someone when he was in his early 30s and in the blink of an eye he's now in his mid-40s. Without quite realising it, we've walked quite a bit of the way together. It is not easy living with anyone least of all someone of the opposite sex and we've had (and still have) our ups and downs. But as I've known then, he's a steady, intelligent and good guy with whom I can spend and construct my life and I've not been wrong.

Many a lesser man would have entered a few years ago into mid-life crisis, but Hub's optimistic outlook and progressive nature see him taking many things in his stride, enjoying what each stage in life has to offer. I hope that things would continue as such, as I already have a teenager in crisis and am not sure that I'll be able to handle a grown man in crisis too.

Hub blowing his candles with Baby Boy

I wish him the best of health, much happiness, a successful and fulfilling career, good luck in his coming golf exams and lots of love from all those who love him anyway.

Happy 44th, my beloved Hub!

8 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

What a doting wife, and a spendid birthday celebration. Happy birthday, Mr S. :)

Pris a dit…

What amazing food as usual! Happy birthday to your dear hubby!!! :) May God bless your marriage and let there be many more birthdays to come!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover a dit…

Happy Belated Birthday to you hub !! his is lucky to have you..

Misa a dit…

Ciao Serene, wow yr hubby shares the same birthday as me. I did a pinic party at my place on Sun, thank god it was a sunny and beautiful day. we were 22 in all. Pot luck
I don't have to cook much, Pilaf rice and chicken korma. However I am so impressed with the food you prepared and also have the time to do for the kids.
Grande S...Happy belated birthday to the Toro of the house.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Happy belated birthday to you too, Misa!

Are you younger than Hub?

22 guests that's alot - though there must be lots to eat since it was a pot luck...Yummy :-)

I did really simple stuff so it was easy to handle, just a question of organisation. Wish I had more fridge and freezer space though.

Did you receive many presents?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

SIG, Pris and Sonia - thanks for the wishes.

Misa a dit…

I'm older by 3 years, Yes there is alot of food, The picnic was organised by my friends from In't Women Club of Torino..
I admire yr cooking abilities, I love to cook but then organisation I have to work on it. I get distracted easily . The girls pool together and get me a Etro necklace, I love it ... As for hubby , I'm yet to decide what I want ,,,, makin tua makin susah to decide....

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

That's really sweet of your friends, I'm sure you had a great time, your Hub must be fascinated by so many women turning up at the same time :-)

I get distracted very easily too but will make do anyway, there's no need to be perfect, just learn to apologise :-)