vendredi, mai 14, 2010

Cookery Club Lesson 2 - English Cooking with JW

Steak and Mushroom Pie, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, Carrots

This morning we met at JW's for our 2nd Cookery Club lesson : Steak and Mushroom Pie, English Scones and Victoria Sandwich Cake. If I may say so, the club's doing great and we have a really wonderful group of members, I've laughed so much today my tummy (still) aches I know not from that or from all the food I've eaten :-)

We all want that cutter!

Today's Star Cook

JW demonstrated classic English fare mentioned above and we loved it. I got sniggers when I mentioned to people that I would be learning how to cook English and honestly that wasn't merited as English food when done properly is absolutely delicious. I suppose it's like the English language, everyone speaks it and most do it badly. And you keep seeing those pies everywhere on the supermarket shelves and take them for the real thing. When the real thing is much more delicious than that. Anyway, I go, for example, absolutely bonkers when I see gravy. OK, someone may say that since I'm already bonkers how much crazier can I become, but that's not the point here.

English Scones

The kitchen was filled with a lovely aroma when I arrived as JW had already started on her steak and mushroom filling though we got to see work on the pastry for the pie, the scones and the sandwich cake. CT arrived late as usual (but we're not complaining here since he actually turned up) and proved to be quite useful with the finishing touches. His wife called to check on him as usual in the middle of the meal LOL. We had to make alot of noise in the background so that she could know for sure that there were many of us and not just a woman (or 2)...

CT putting the finishing touch on the Steak and Mushroom Pie

I couldn't wait to start on the food as I was hungry, and I also wanted to eat those scones when they were still hot...But no chance of having tea before lunch.

Leek and Potato Soup

Great job, JW, and hasta la vista in June when it'll be my turn to do the cookery class. A pity that we couldn't have the next class earlier but it wasn't easy finding a common free day to do it.

Victoria Sandwich Cake

By the way, my De Beers necklace arrived this afternoon. It's even more beautiful than I remembered it to be, I so heart it.. It will break my corazon to have to lock it up in the bank vault.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

English cuisine is misunderstood often the butt of jokes.

But as a Sporean, I beg to differ. Many years ago, when I was holidaying in the UK, I traveled to Bath & had the freshest fish & chips ever in my life, yes, simple food but oh so delicious. Crispy and fresh cod fish on the inside.

Then the pork pie I had in London was so meaty, full of gravy oozing and again very delicious.

And just like you, I love the scones I had in a tearoom in York with clotted cream.