lundi, juin 21, 2010

Papaya Crème Brûlée (Crème Brûlée à la Papaye)

Papaya Crème not yet Brûlée

GA kindly brought me a ripe papaya when she was last here. I suppose that with my exotic looks one assumes easily that I love exotic fruits. While I do not eat mangoes or guavas, I must say that I occasionally do eat a piece of papaya - when I'm constipated, for example. I grew up in a family where the parents stuff themselves on the fruit when they have bowel difficulty.

Papaya

The Hub and kids refused to touch the papaya - a pity since it looked quite nice. I couldn't possibly eat all of it on my own since it was quite big. Therefore decided to make a batch of Papaya Crème Brûlée (Crème Brûlée à la Papaye), inspired by the quite delicious pumpkin crème caramel that we had at Aldina recently.

It has been raining for the past few days. The cherries in the neighbouring farms have been destroyed. My last batch of washing is still hanging outside and has no chance to dry. It rained so much the roof leaked last night and MIL woke up with half her bed soaked in water. I hope that I would somehow have enough time to wash the bedsheets (the Milano Bs spent a night here over the weekend) before SIL arrives this Saturday.

We've had a really busy weekend, first with a farewell party at Carpi on Saturday evening and then a birthday lunch yesterday at the Bs. Needless to say I've eaten too much and am definitely not on track to lose enough weight to squeeze into my swimsuit. Anyway, it's raining.


This one I burnt it myself with the blowtorch!!!

Papaya Crème Brûlée :

400ml Cream (minimum 30% fat)
A pinch of Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
Zest from half a Lime
Half a Papaya (in purée)
4 Egg Yolks
110g Sugar

Simmer the cream, salt and vanilla in a pot.

Add the lime zest and papaya purée. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and add to the papaya cream mixture. Stir to mix well. If you like the batter smooth, strain it through a sieve. If not, just leave it as it is.

Ready to go into the oven
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.

Put a few ramequins into an oven tray filled with hot water. The water should reach past half of the ramequins.

Ladle the custard into the ramequins and bake them in the bain-marie for half an hour. The bain-marie helps to slow down the heat transfer and prevent the custard from curdling. Then turn on the fan in the oven and block out the top grill with a metal tray (so that the custard do not burn) and continue baking for another 30 minutes or till they are quite firm.

Let them cool before chilling them for a few hours if not overnight in the fridge.


Sprinkle brown sugar over each custard and burn it with a blowtorch till caramelised. I had to wait for Hub to come home to handle said torch as I'm quite scared of it.

4 commentaires:

One Wheel a dit…

Fancy a papaya tree in your backyard? instead of throwing away the seeds, just plant them and see if they grow. I'm trying to grow them in my balcony in a pot, can see the leaves coming out.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover a dit…

Papaya Creme Brulee sound very interesting, bookmark this recipe, must try this one day.Thanks for sharing.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

And if it works, where are you going to plant your tree? Or you didn't tell me that you were going to buy a house? :-)

We're only renting the house so I'm not going to plant anything in the soil. More and more I wish I have a house of my own so that I can start a garden, but well, we like the nomad's life as well so I shouldn't complain.

bed frame a dit…

I have never tried papaya to be used at home. I think my family forgot what it tastes like.