mercredi, juin 16, 2010

My First Cookery Club Class (and Thai Pineapple Fried Rice)

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice

It was finally my turn to do my lesson for our cookery club and I have decided on Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce for the main course thinking that the weather would be hot enough for a BBQ. It was of course raining since yesterday though I managed to grill the satay outside on the BBQ before it started to pour. I should feel lucky, I guess.

Beef Satay cooking on the BBQ

I am not a very organised person, but the dishes had to be prepared in parts to take into account cooking, cooling etc time, so I was moving from one dish to another and back and hoping that my fellow club members would be able to organise their notes and take that into consideration.

CT turned up with his MIL in tow - and left after he has held us up with his blah blah (aka excuses). Some of you may remember that while he's a passionate cook, he's above all a professional photographer. Well, he's also the school's photographer this year and after taking more than 800 photos of the kids in the school yesterday, he needs to work on them and get them ready for us to view and order. I think he must have something against me to always not turn up for my meals :-).

We had Thai Pineapple Fried Rice to start because I cooked it for MB's party last Saturday and GA wanted the recipe. Since she's a founding (and soon departing) member of our club I felt that I had to show her how I do it. I've blogged about the dish in March 2006, but in those days I had a weird way of posting my recipes that even I have difficulty reading it today so I thought that I'd post it again. Besides, MIL liked the rice and wants the recipe too so this will be for her.

For dessert, knowing that it's not easy getting most people to like a S.E. Asian dessert on the first try, I've decided to play it safe with Thai Red Rubies in Coconut Milk (Tub Tim Krob). Besides it's very easy to prepare and I have all the ingredients with me.

Thai Red Rubies in Coconut Milk

The next class with be at GA's next Wednesday. She'll be doing Lebanese and Iranian.

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice:

2 cups of cooked Jasmine Rice
1 small Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
1 Red Chilli (sliced)
1 large Carrot (cubed)
1 very good Chinese Sausage (chopped)
2-3 Tsp Curry powder
100g chopped cooked Ham
200g Shrimps
1 can Pineapple cubes (preferably Dole)
Syrup from the canned pineapples
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Fish sauce
1 Tsp light Soy sauce
2 Tsp dry Sherry
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Eggs (to be scrambled)
Fried onions, fresh coriander leaves and pork floss for garnishing

Dissolve the sugar in the pineapple syrup, soy sauce, fish sauce and sherry mixture. Set aside.

Heat up 3 Tbsp of peanut oil in a wok and soften the onions in it.

Add the garlic, chilli, carrots and Chinese sausage and fry till fragrant.

Add the curry powder and mix well.

Add the cooked ham followed by the shrimps.

Stir in the cooked rice and pour in the pineapple syrup sauce. Coat the grains evenly with the sauce and ingredients.

Remove the rice from the wok and set aside.

Add more oil to the wok and crack the eggs into it.

Season with salt and pepper and scramble them. Do not overcook the eggs.

Add the scrambled eggs to the rice and stir to mix. Garnish with fried onions, coriander leaves and pork floss (if available).

Aucun commentaire: