vendredi, juin 25, 2010

Bourguignon de Boeuf à l'Orange


Orange Beef Stew

I am going away on Monday for 3 days and the Babies will be looked after by MIL and SIL. I had to make sure that the fridge is stocked so that they will have enough food to feed themselves and the children during my absence. And I also prepared 2 dishes so that they only need to reheat them. One of them is a Ginger Flower Beef Curry and the other a Bourguignon de Boeuf à l'Orange.

I love the French Duck in Orange Sauce and I am fond of some of the Chicken/Beef in Orange Sauce that I've eaten in some Chinese restaurants and I have decided to experiment with an Orange Beef Stew because I really like the smell and taste of orange with meat.

This evening we have been invited by GA to a big farewell party at the Mammut Club. Until they were leaving we've not been invited to this party and I was quite relieved actually as farewells are always difficult. But well, I guess that it would be inevitable that a few tears will be shed now that I would be facing 8 families leaving the school and Modena...

Orange Beef Stew :

600g Piemontese stewing Beef (cubed)
100ml Red Wine
Olive Oil
1 Garlic clove (chopped)
1 small slice of Ginger
1 small Onion pricked with 3 whole Cloves
1 small Cinnamon stick
1 Bay leaf
Juice of 2 Oranges
125ml Beef stock
Salt and Pepper to taste

Marinate the beef in the red wine for a few hours.

Heat up some olive oil in a pot and fry the garlic, ginger, onion , bay leaf and cinnamon stick till fragrant.

Add the beef (without the wine - but do not throw it away) and brown the meat in the fragrant oil.

Cover the beef with the orange juice, pour in the wine marinade and hot beef stock. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or till the meat is tender.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

This looks really good and very enticing and simple enough for someone like me to try it out asap!

Elaine (TO)

Sothy a dit…

Etonnant, je vais tester ta recette dès que je peux!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Let me know how your attempts turn out, I'm still at experimentation stage with this dish, may need to add more orange juice and maybe just use water and not stock - as the idea is not to overwhelm the orange taste.