vendredi, octobre 01, 2010

Cooking German with MB

Spätzle und Rindsrouladen mit Soße

Finding all my cookery club friends after the break was lovely as usual. We had a good time cooking together, eating together and making fun of each other. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that we're not in our first Spring anymore :-).

Half of the Club hard at work (the other half gossiping away)

This Wednesday's lesson was conducted by MB in her lovely bright and airy kitchen. We were taught how to make a few of her favourite German specialties : Broccoli Rahmsuppe, Rindsrouladen, Apfelpfannkuchen, Spätzle...In other words, Cream of Broccoli Soup, Beef Rolls, Apple Pancake and Egg Noodles. See, I know some German after all :-)

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Contrary to popular belief, the Germans do not survive only on sausages and Black Forest Cake. I've lived 2 years in Stuttgart and have always eaten well there. And I wasn't as fat then as I am since living in Italy.

Stuffing and rolling the beef

We had a great lunch, I had a few servings of the Spätzle, more than anyone else there (as usual). I had to beg to have the soup because it was noon and I was hungry. I had the largest fluffy apple pancake. I threw a tantrum so that she wouldn't add gherkins in my beef roll. I'm horrible and that's part of my charm.

The secret to making Spätzle

And I didn't chop or peel or do much of anything (except eat). I have appalling knife skills and wasn't about to demonstrate them in front of CT our Brazilian Chef par excellence. And I wouldn't touch gherkins if I can help it so voilà.

Fluffy apple pancake that is lightly caramelised on top

No recipes as usual or it wouldn't be a private cookery club. Next club meeting will be in a fortnight. Syrian this time. Watch this space.

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Danke, wie immer, meine liebe Serene fuer Deine wunderbaren und vor allem leckeren Berichte!!! Bin schon wieder hungrig!
Linda

Jessica a dit…

Apfelpfannkuchen! Und schon vermisse ich zu Hause!

When do you guys cook together? During school?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Yeap, we take turns to demonstrate our cooking when the kids are at school. It wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Jessica, by the way, we couldn't get into the website you told T to get into. They didn't offer any possiblity to log in.

Jessica a dit…

Sounds delicious though! I think we might have to make pancakes tomorrow!

If you ever cook at night, let me know, please?

http://ismmodena.toondoospaces.com should give you the option to log in!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Thanks, the address you just gave me works now.