jeudi, mars 25, 2010

Organic Whole Wheat Farfalle with Sardines (Farfalle Bio alle Sarde Piccanti)

Farfalle Bio alle Sarde Piccanti

This pasta dish is not sexy. Doesn't smell sexy either. But I'm sure that when you read the title you either will think "Yucks!" or "Boy, I love sardines..."

I say that because a pasta dish with sardines doesn't leave me indifferent no matter how gross it looks. However I do not really like the famous Sicilian version with fresh sardines or anchovies, fennel, pine nuts and sultanas, preferring a more piquant and really basic version of my own. In my larder, you will always find either sardines canned in olive oil or sardines canned in chilli oil. Once a fortnight I would take one out and make a sandwich, baked puff or pasta with it. I would stink for a while, but since I am not hiding an Italian lover and my dear Hub after more than a decade of vie commune is no longer into tongue locking, I can get away with it.

Last week I came across organic spaghetti and farfalle that didn't look too much like they were made of recycled toilet paper. Whole durum wheat. I thought that they would go well with a few wholesome sardines and so this became my lunch this afternoon : Organic Farfalle with Piquant Sardines.

Pasta alle Sarde Piccanti (serves 1-2) :

1 tin of Sardines in Olive oil or Chilli oil
1 Shallot (sliced)
1 Garlic clove (sliced or minced)
1 Thai Chilli or 1 Tsp dried Chilli flakes
A few Parsley sprigs (chopped)
1 Tomato (chopped)
2 Tbsp White wine
Ground black pepper to taste
Lemon juiceOrganic Farfalle (cooked to al dente and drained)

Drain the oil in the tin of sardines onto a frying pan. Add a bit more olive oil if necessary and fry the shallots and garlic in it till fragrant.

Add the chilli, parsley and tomato.

Add the sardines and mash them roughly in the oil as they cook. Stir in the white wine.

Add black pepper to taste. Throw in the cooked and drained pasta and mix well. Squeeze some lemon juice over it.

The Italians usually do not add grated cheese to fish and seafood dishes so if you insist, you may add breadcrumbs to imitate the texture. But I made do without them.

Needless to say, this pasta is probably better made with fresh sardines or anchovies, but when the catch is fresh, I usually prefer it just grilled or lightly battered and fried.

2 commentaires:

Dumdad a dit…

I like sardines but if I had the choice I'd go for your dumpling soup with quail eggs. Now that really looked good!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Now that you are a domestic engineer, you can make those dumplings yourself. A quick trip to chez Tang for the wanton wrappers (at the same time grab a roast duck), some minced pork and you're set!

Fry them and you can eat them with a beer in your backyard :-)