lundi, décembre 14, 2009

Steamed Minced Pork and Chinese Mushroom on Silken Tofu

Steamed Minced Pork and Chinese Mushroom on Silken Tofu

We had our first snow of the season last night. Woke up this morning to a field blanketed in white. It was very cold, but lovely. I much prefer having snow than (cold) rain. The children, needless to say, were excited. They couldn't wait to go to school.

I felt the need for something comforting. Had some seasoned minced pork and mushroom filling leftover from my wan ton session over the weekend. And a rare packet of silken tofu from the Chinese store. Well, what better way to marry them than to make a Steamed Minced Pork and Chinese Mushroom on Silken Tofu?

It was lovely. And I was thinking of Brother C as I cooked the dish - since the metal steaming plate was a gift from him. Used the special plate lifter that my mom gave me. Very useful utensils to have in a Chinese kitchen.


Basic Minced Pork and Mushroom Filling :

400g Minced Pork to mix with
5 Chinese Mushrooms (softened in hot water and sliced)
1 Tbsp Sugar
1-2 Tsp grated fresh Ginger
1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1/2 Tsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
1 Egg (beaten and mixed into the pork)

Cook with
1 packet of Silken Tofu
Fresh Coriander
Fresh Thai Chilli
More of the sugar-soy-sesame oil mixture

Place the tofu in a porcelaine or metal steaming plate. Garnish with the minced pork filling and thai chillies. Pour the sugar-soy-sesame oil mixture over it. Steam for 10 minutes. Serve hot with some fresh coriander leaves.

3 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Great idea! I´m gonna try this dish next!!!!

Diana Saw a dit…

hello fellow singaporean woman living abroad!

yum yum yum! i am hungry for mom's cooking...! thanks for posting the recipe. i'm gonna try it out!

cheers from cambodia,
diana

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi Diana, can you find what you need easily in Cambodia?

It has been fun reading your blog, it's a different world out there. I've been interested in the country ever since I've read Somaly Mam's autobiography. Would have enjoyed doing what you are doing if I hadn't sidetracked.

Did you go to NUS in the early 90s?