mercredi, décembre 16, 2009

Crevettes au Caramel

Prawns in Caramel with Ginger and Sesame Oil

Wherever possible, I only use sesame oil produced in Singapore. It is more expensive, but it is also more fragrant and dense. A few drops usually will do. And cooked with fresh ginger...what a lovely aroma in the kitchen!

One of the Singapore brands of black sesame oil

For lunch today, I made myself a simple prawn version of the caramel chicken or pork that I usually make. This week, we try to finish whatever we have in the fridge before leaving for our vacations. And as I have bought a box of ice cream, I also have to make some space in the tiny freezer - and so out came the prawns for a Crevettes au Caramel parfumées au Gingembre et à l'Huile de Sésame.


Crevettes au Caramel :

10 big raw Prawns (heads and legs off)
2 Tsp Sesame Oil
Good-sized piece of fresh Ginger (julienned)
1 Thai Chilli (chopped)
2 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 1/2 Tbsp Peanut Oil
2 Tbsp Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Lime/lemon juice (optional)

In a wok, heat up the sesame oil and fry the ginger till fragrant. Add in the thai chillis and then the prawns. You are almost dry roasting the prawns so keep stir-frying till they turn rosy.

Add in the wine and mix well. Remove everything to a plate.

In the same wok, heat up the peanut oil and stir in the sugar. It will dissolve in the oil and start to caramelise. When the caramel is of a light to medium brown colour, return the prawns to the wok. There will be a sizzle and the caramel with darken and start to stick to the prawns and ginger. Stir well to coat the prawns in the sauce.

Add salt and pepper to taste, remove to a serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves if desired and serve hot.

I had it with some steamed rice and leftover braised eggs. Yummy.

People sometimes ask me why I usually do not provide measurements in my recipes. Well, I think taste is personal so you have to know what you like and adjust your seasonings accordingly. Having said that, we say a blend of spices, for example, and mean just that. It has to be a harmonious mix of different spices. We know that we usually use a pinch of cloves because they are very strong. You wouldn't overdo with the star anise either. In any case, one may need to cook the same dish a few times to get the (personal) taste right. In Chinese cooking, I try to factor in and balance the 5 tastes : sweet, sour, hot, salty and eventually bitter. And work on the cooking time, techniques etc. I have so much more to learn.

1 commentaire:

SIG a dit…

I love this dish! Prawns are my sister's and my fav. :)