mardi, janvier 19, 2010

Fish Dumplings in Fish Broth

Fish Dumplings in Fish Broth

I made the dumpling skin with fish. Probably could do without the extra work after having guests last evening and being woken up at 5 this morning by weird Babies who decided that they needed to brush their teeth then...But I wanted to eat my fish dumplings with fish wrappers.


The Cocos would have left Modena this morning. End of their working stint here and the beginning of their new life in the UK. My consolation is that they would be with people we know, from the Bahars to the Koturs and Gino. I am happy and excited for them, for they could be part of a historic pioneer team that could change the world of fast luxury cars and create a serious challenger to Ferrari. We wish them all the best and hope to see them again soon.

The dinner started out really well, they loved the Thai Fish Cakes and Shiu mai that we had with a bottle of Dom Pérignon at the beginning of the dinner. The Caramel Prawns was another hit with the men licking up the caramel on their plates, they were all suitably impressed when I presented my Thai Pineapple Fried Rice in a real pineapple, but I had a scare when DC saw the Chicken in Thai Green Curry and declared that he didn't like lemongrass.

Hub told him to give it a try and to take only the chicken and vegetables if he so wished. He started out this way, then continued to help himself to a few more servings throughout the meal, and ended up asking for my "emergency" plain steamed rice so that he could have more of the curry! Incidentally, this was the first time I decided to serve my pineapple rice in a pineapple like in the restaurants and it was really difficult removing the flesh from the fruit. Anybody knows of an easy and painless way to do the job?


We had 2 bottles of Italian wine during the meal and they were both quite interesting : San Cresci (Chianti Classico) and Cardoviola (Marche Rosso). I do not know where Hub recuperated them, he never buys Italian wine, but somehow they managed to find their way into his wine cellar. Dessert was Panna Cotta with Mango Sauce. We had a wonderful evening together and I am once again sad to see them leave. (*sniff*)

Back to the Fish Dumplings in Fish Broth, I made the wrappers like for any Chinese dumplings, only I added 200g of white fish to the flour, salt and water (to be halved as the fish is already wet) and mixed everything into a paste in a food processor. Then worked it into a dough on a heavily-floured board.


The filling I mixed another 200g of white fish with ginger, garlic, chives, coriander leaves, prawns, crabmeat and a little pork and seasoned it with some sherry, soy sauce and sesame oil.

Fish broth cube

Then I cooked the dumplings in salted boiling water and served them in a clear Fish broth part yesterday's prawn head and chicken stock and part fish broth cube from the supermarket.

Fish Dumplings in Green Curry

Since I had some green curry left over, I also served some of the fish dumplings in it.

3 commentaires:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover a dit…

This look really nice!!YUM YUM.

One Wheel a dit…

eh, why no picture of the pineapple rice? must show us since you put so much time and effort to scoop the fruit out :)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Didn't take any pictures during the meal as all the dishes I have already blogged about.

That pineapple damn difficult to empty, there must be some tool or method to do this easily.