dimanche, janvier 31, 2010

No-Bake Konnyaku Jelly Lychee Cheesecake

No-Bake Konnyaku Jelly Lychee Cheesecake

It is snowing heavily, large snowflakes coming down on us non-stop. The kids are really excited, less so for Hub who had to drive them to a birthday party.

See the snowflakes

I stayed at home and decided to make Konnyaku jelly for the Babies who have been asking for them. And from there, my No-Bake Konnyaku Jelly Lychee Cheesecake was born.


Konnyaku Jelly Lychee Cheesecake (small 16-cm cake) :

The biscuit base :

50g Butter (melted)
100g Digestive biscuits
25g Sugar

The filling :

1 can Lychees (drained and syrup, about 330ml, reserved)
170ml Water***
100g Sugar
3g Konnyaku jelly powder
250g Philadelphia cream cheese
Juice of half a lemon

I no longer make my bisuit base by hand as I'm too lazy to do it properly. I melt, in the microwave, the butter in the plastic container of my small food processor and then pulse it with the broken digestive biscuits till I get fine crumbs. Press them firmly onto the lined and buttered base of a springform mould. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.

Put the syrup from the can of lychees in a saucepan and add the sugar and water. Bring to a boil, dissolving the sugar and slowly stir in the konnyaku jelly powder. Set aside to cool a little. ***But watch out, you only need 120ml of this jelly.

Chop the lychees into small pieces and put them in a big bowl. Add the cream cheese and lemon juice and whip till creamy. Pour in 120ml of the slightly cooled (not too much as konnyaku jelly sets quickly) konnyaku jelly and mix well. You can use the rest of the konnyaku jelly to make individual jellies for the children.

Before being chilled

Pour the lychee-jelly-cream cheese filling into the mould. Chill for at least 4 hours.

I found this cheesecake quite refreshing. Next time maybe I'll experiment with agar-agar or gelatine.

Aucun commentaire: