lundi, mars 31, 2008

Il Gallo d'Oro

Roast Lamb with Potatoes and Green Beans

The Hub came back with a Michelin 2008 Guide for Italy! Somebody knows that we like to eat :-). And we didn't waste too much time in putting it to use, found a restaurant with 1 fork in the guide on our way to Risoul and promptly had lunch there.

Near Asti is the town of Alessandria and it looks like a pretty place with nice little streets. According to the Hub, one eats very well in the Piemonte - because we are nearer to France (haha).

The restaurant Il Gallo d'Oro is small and cosy and is run by 2 friendly guys who seemed to know most of their clients by name. For lunch on Saturday we had a fixed menu with a few choices for 25 Euros pax.

Beef Raviolis in its Sauce

To start we (or rather Hub and the kids) had a Carpaccio of Smoked Beef. It was followed by Raviolis filled with Braised Beef and served in its sauce. Apparently that was a speciality of the region. You cook your meat with vegetables and spices and then you stuff your raviolis with the meat, mix the cooking juice and put it through a sieve (passer au chinois) and retrieve the sauce for the raviolis.

For the main course, I had Roast Lamb with Potatoes and Green Beans. The sides came with the main course here unlike most other places in Italy - something we appreciate. The kids had this other speciality of the region - Grilled Beef Sausage. And the Hub and I also had a few glasses of Moscato d'Asti, I absolutely appreciate this sweet sparkling white wine.

Everything was very good though the Chocolate Cake I had for dessert was a little flat and tasteless. Nonetheless this was a good address and we hope to have another occasion to pass by Alessandria and enjoy a meal here again.

Il Gallo d'Oro
Via Chenna 44
15100 Alessandria
Tel : 013 143160

4 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Heh there, if you ever pass by Alessandria again, take a mini detour(about 45minutes) and drive to the huge Serravalle Outlet of one million and one outlet stores! I'm sure you'll love it!
-E(Torino)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

E, I'm too super fat to have any pleasure shopping for nowadays!

When are you coming to visit me again? If I have the courage, I'll come visit you by train in July with 2 of the kids.

Take care!

Kiss,
S.

Anonyme a dit…

Alamak, we still haven't found a house to buy yet so if you do visit and want to stay overnight, I'll have to put you up in the not too bad hotel just opposite our apartment block. Our current rental apartment has only one bedroom :-(

Will ask hubby about visiting you when we have a long weekend or during my school holidays which begin at the end of June and ends end of August.

What are your plans for the summer hols?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

E, I definitely will put up in a hotel if I visit you as I like to have my own freedom, like walk around in my underwear and scream freely at the kids :-).

Eldest Son will be in Singapore for 2 months and the rest of us will probably hang around in Italy as the Hub's work commitments do not allow him to go elsewhere this summer. Maybe we'll visit the South. And if I find a deal or 2 I'll leave now and then with the 2 younger ones.