samedi, novembre 24, 2007

Fat-free Orange Cake

Fat-free Orange Cake

Last night I did a tour of Precious Moment's wonderful blog and discovered her Fat-free Orange Cake recipe. The word "orange" and "kueh-like" caught my eye and the fact that it was fat-free came as a bonus. So I've decided to bake it this morning while waiting for the Hub to finish gossiping on the Net with his mother and old school friend.

What I loved about this cake was the wonderful orange smell that filled the kitchen first when I was boiling the oranges and then later on when I was baking it. And it is a really simple recipe, though while the cake turned out quite delicious, I must admit that it took some getting used to at first - I do so love butter, ahem.

In fact, I think that I'm going to bake it again for the X'mas Fair on Saturday (still have oranges left) and I'll substitute the ground almond with butter. In fact, I'll probably make an orange pound cake.

What I used :

3 Oranges (one was a blood orange)
1/2 Lime (I had this hanging around and had to use it)
270g Caster Sugar (I've increased the amount from 230g)
5 Eggs (I've removed one egg as it seemed to be too much protein)
140g Flour
11/2Tsp Baking Powder
100g ground Almond

Preheat oven to 180ºC.

Wash the oranges and boil them for 20 minutes. Drain.

Purée them well in a blender.

Beat the eggs and sugar till they become smooth and fluffy.

Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture. Add in the ground almonds and then mix in the orange purée.

Bake for 40-60 minutes.

Sprinkle icing sugar over the cake before serving.

2 commentaires:

Edith a dit…

wow you really did it. Hope you like it. This cake is totally of different texture but I love the smell while baking it.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Yeap, usually try to do what I said I'll do...