mardi, novembre 27, 2007

Another (Lousy) Presentation

The Penguins-drink-urine Presentation

I am but hyper super busy this week. The Christmas Fair is in a few days and I am in charge of the International Buffet as some may know. Yes, I've complained about the perpetual fun-raising in the school, but then I've also learnt to look at things in another light.

Fundraising is actually a social thingy too. I've never been integrated in a school at such speed. I know almost everybody in this school, from staff to kids to their families. And all that in less than 3 months. And that thanks to our fundraising, PTA and other school activities. The teachers are quite involved in the activities too and I've never had so much access to my kids' teachers before. I actually have their teachers' email and they will always reply within the hour.

I've also learnt to look at education (for my children) in a different light. I have complained and will still be complaining about the lack of rigour and content in the International School curriculum. This is inevitable when you come from a rat race society like Singapore where many actually thrive on the pressure. I've had an excellent education in my home country and I am proud to be a product of the system no matter what criticism you may throw at it. It has stood me in good stead in my life and it is one of my regrets that my children will not be a part of it.

Having said that, once you're out of the pressure cooker, you're a different dish altogether. Out here a rigid school system doesn't become kids like mine because it's neither here nor there. You can't normally be too strict with your kids, when it's winter it turns dark at 5pm and it's depressingly cold, you're expected to shine in extra-curricular activities, during Summer you have 2-3 months of holidays and almost never any homework...the conditions are not there to support an intensive result-oriented system like the one we have back home.

So when you follow the IB (International Baccalaureat) school system where you work around topics, are not exam-oriented and work alot on individual development, it could prepare you for life in a different way.

Children in International schools usually move around alot. They are exposed to different countries, people, cultures, food etc. They have a different life experience from those who just stay put. They usually have parents who are mobile and who have important careers. People who succeed because they usually think out of the box, are flexible, respond well to challenges and are open-minded.

So, if these children could not count to 1500 when they are 6 nor could they do divisions by the time they are 8, they could perhaps manage a few presentations, play with their peers, relate to their teachers, talk about other countries and cultures, just be children but happy and confident ones. Or so I hope.

Talking about presentations, parents were invited to the class this morning to watch our children make theirs. I think that most of us were probably as nervous as our kids. I appreciate occasions like this as we learn alot by observing how the other children do in the same situation.

C's Poster

The first presentation was made by C, the Baudelin's eldest. She prepared her presentation all by herself and must have practised lots of times before the mirror, never looking at any notes during her presentation. Even though she's not a native English speaker, she made herself easily understood and was logical and concise. Needless to say, she had a very good chart with nice pictures etc. She even prepared a quiz for the class at the end of it.

J was next, a pretty Swedish girl. Her parents both came to support her and one could see that they had also involved themselves quite a bit in her work. She was really nervous and almost cried, but once she got over it, she did fine. Lots of very pretty posters and information.

Followed by S and being English probably helped, she did a smooth presentation.

M's Presentation with Food Treat

M (R's eldest) did one on bears and R prepared a snack (on what bears eat) for everyone e.g. berries, honey...

Eldest Son was last to present (other half of the class will do so tomorrow). He forgot his opening line, he ate his words, he didn't say half of what he was supposed to say, he kept swinging from side to side, and he misinformed the class - to my absolute horror. At one point, he mentioned that penguins can drink salt water (because they have special glands to help filter out the salt - but of course he didn't really know how to say this) and then he added that when they have no salt water, they will drink their own urine!!!!!

I nearly killed myself for that as I've told him when we came across this salt water point the night before that penguins may be able to drink salt water but not us humans. And that when humans get stranded in the sea and have no clean water, they either try to drink rain water or they'll have to drink their own urine in order to survive. And that idiot misused the info and even told the class that he had come cross it while doing his research! I should have drowned him at birth.

I gave him hell for that of course. R said that I should have told him that he did a great job no matter what in order to encourage him. She is no longer Indian that woman, too much time spent in Europe. How could you tell someone that he is marvelous when he is definitely not? Reverse psychology? They can really delude themselves. When these kids grow up and join the workforce, do you think their bosses are going to praise them when they f*ck up? But I admit that I can certainly be less hard on him, of course. Only that that is the fault of my bad temper and I can't do much about it. Thank God they have all these nice teachers being paid to carry out the IB philosophy to do that kind of thing.

5 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Serene dear. My goodness, I had to laugh so much and so hard when I read your post. Your son is very cute leh....honestly. At least he tried his best! Oh, could you give him a hug for me? I know what it feels like to make blunders like that. I made that once while working in PwC. I actually wanted to gain approval for a project for the S.G office from the U.S. office. Instead of raising an invoice of US$50,000 I actually thought it would only be US$50. Needless to say, I got h_ll for that from my boss. But honestly, when I look back now, I simply have to laugh about it. Its stuff likt that makes us more human and being able to empathsize with ppl. I empathize with you and your son. Love, pris

Dutchess a dit…

Hm. Where to start?

Like Pris, I had a good laugh too. If it were me, I'd probably be mortified, correct the wrong info and praise the bits which were genuinely good. Kids are not dumb - they can smell insincerity a mile off.

But knowing you like I think I know you, I understand where your frustration, line of thought and actions are coming from.

Better luck next time?

Btws, Hubs and I were eavesdropping on the conversation Eldest Son was having with Sonny- boy in the back seat while driving to dinner. They were exchanging notes on which countries they've lived, where we're headed, what languages they can speak etc. I mean, which regular kid talks like that? They sounded like high flying adults. It was too cute. They may not be getting the Singapore treatment but in my opinion, they are getting a dfferent (if not better) sort of education a regular school can't give.

Sraikh a dit…

hi, I was googling for mee siam recipes and found your blog. I am a fellow Singaporean but living in USA(Colorado to be precise) for the past 6-7 years. My oldest is in third grade here and I had to laugh at the word problesm homework she got. She got some which would have been given in Primary 1 back home.
But like you said, Singapore school system will not work and we have to adapt. The good thing is that she loves to read.

Some of the public schools here offer the IB programme and I was researching them, whether I should put my girls in them but the thought of driving them in snow always makes me change my mind :)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Pris, what did you mean tried his best? A lazier person I've never seen. But so happy that you could manage to look at the funnier side of things.

J, for a moment you had me worried. I thought you were going to say that he was teaching bad things to your boy. When it comes to unnecessary knowledge he usually has alot of it.

Sraikh, hope you made your mee siam and enjoyed it. Keep on researching on the IB programme, I still do not really have a clue about it. For the moment I do not have a choice where schools are concerned so I flow along, but once the choices return, it would be good to be able to make informed decisions. And glad to find yet another fellow Singaporean abroad!

Rachel a dit…

LOL. I have been reading your blog for a while now and I enjoyed how real you are when sharing tidbits about your life and children.

From your blog sharing, your Eldest Son sounds like a charming, relaxed and a little goofy kind of kid. :)

And I agree with J. I wish my kids had the chance to be exposed to the thinking based IB syllabus as opposed to the rigid memory based learning in local schools. Ah well.