samedi, novembre 24, 2007

Baked Sea Bass and Vegetables

Baked Sea Bass and Vegetables

We were forced to do a spot of grocery shopping (on a Saturday) because Monsieur decided that he wanted to eat fish for dinner this evening. It's healthier, you know.

This meant squeezing with at least half of Formigine from the road leading to the supermarket to the carpark to the supermarket itself. And à l'italienne, probably half the town's teenagers also turned up because they've decided that this was a good day for solliciting food donations for the needy from the Saturday shoppers, only why they had to turn out in such numbers I have no idea. I'm very Singaporean in this, when I see more than 3 people hanging around together, I get suspicious. And they did block whatever little space we had from the lift to the entrance of the supermarket.

And when we arrived at the little mall, Monsieur disappeared to have his hair cut and Madame spent the hour trying to shop (for us and for the needy) and not lose the kids at the same time. I hate shopping on Saturdays. Especially with the rest of the world. Just for that I wouldn't return to the workforce. Having my bag of groceries for the needy snatched from my hand by one of those teenagers the minute I've paid for them at the cashier didn't help improve my mood. I had images of myself graciously depositing my offering at the main collection counter (where a rather cute man was), you see.

When I was a kid we would go grocery shopping every Sunday evening after dinner. Dad and Mom would be on our backs, making sure that we do not get lost, kidnapped etc. And handy having them around so that when you wanted to buy something you can just get a yes or a no quickly enough and move on. And I don't recall grocery shopping a pain then, but then even NTUC Income had more to offer than your neighbourhood COOP.

We bought 2 Sea Bass and had them baked in the oven. The usual olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, herbs (rosemary, basilic, dill...) marinade only strange inclusion being fresh mint that I stuffed my fish with. Hub never failed to frown when he saw me doing that but I personally find it a nice touch, the mint bringing out the natural sweetness of the fish.

Before being baked

We baked the fish with some vegetables e.g. zucchini, red peppers, potatoes, carrots, brown mushrooms...and prepared a lime juice, crushed garlic and olive oil mixture to drip all over them.

It turned out great as usual, and I would have done it more often if not for the fact that I hate having fish scales all over me and the kitchen where I scaled them.

PS : A note for the grandparents, Eldest Son came in 2nd in his school's Badminton Tournament and on that same day (last Tuesday) he also won all of his matches during Tennis training. It's rare having him win anything so that was certainly one day to remember.

3 commentaires:

Dutchess a dit…

Congrats on Eldest Son.

You know, I wish the supermarkets here will sell fish whole albeit, already cleaned and scaled. They do such a fantastic job filleting everything. It's quite a pain somethimes because I like fish with its skin one - so much better for grilling.

I hate doing groceries on Saturday too. If we do, we go right early in the morning to beat the crowds. Even then, bleah!

SIG a dit…

Congratulations to eldest son.

I dislike shopping on weekends too, as I can do it freely on weekday swhen everyone is in school or at work. I dislike long school holidays too when they kids are aplenty.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I also like fish with the skin on.

And I've always said that I have never really liked kids though how I ended having 3 is a mystery.