lundi, octobre 27, 2008

Another Orange Cake

Orange Cup Cake

SIG tempted me with her Rich Orange Cake from Allrecipes not too long ago so I bought a sack of oranges to make one for myself. The owner of the recipe has the same Chinese name as myself - but in Hokkien - which still makes me shudder. The 1st and last time that I heard my Chinese name in Hokkien - was at my beloved maternal grandfather's funeral 20 years ago.

Anyway, I do not know what I have for Orange Cakes but I do love them. Like I do orange trees (especially the ones in Sevilla), orange bags, orange T-shirts, orange sweets and so on. I suspect that I probably like orange cakes for the aroma that they give out as I zest the oranges. Mmmm...

I followed the recipe as much as my concentration would allow and added in some ground spices and orange extract. Also used low-fat butter.

Orange Cup Cakes :

125g Butter
180g Sugar
A pinch of ground Cloves and Cinnamon
Zest from 2 Oranges
2 Egg Yolks
200g Self-raising Flour
Fresh Orange Juice from the 2 oranges (e.g. 160ml)
A few drops of Orange extract
2 Egg Whites
A pinch of Salt

Heat oven to 175ºC.

Beat butter, sugar, spices and zest till light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.

Fold in the flour and the orange juice in alternance.

Whisk the egg whites, orange extract and salt till stiff. Fold into the butter mixture.

Bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes.

Verdict : Clean cake, soft and moist. Do not know how the cupcakes would taste cooled though as we ate them up within minutes of their being taken out of the oven. Am still wondering if I shouldn't have made a frosting for them.

4 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

No need frosting lah but very addictive cos it's very light. :) It's my favourite recipe. I've made loads of times since that first try.

Pris a dit…

hey, how do you remove the "zest" from the orange??

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

D, can see that you have quite a thing for baking. That's my resolution for next year - bake more.

Pris, I zest with a small cheese grater. But make sure you wash your oranges well unless it's 100% untreated.

SIG a dit…

No lah, it's only after i started blogging that i really discovered the internet and its treasure-trove of yummy goodies, that got my curiosity aroused. ;) So I tend to test out recipes for the fun of it, and some stuff just captures my attention and also, I find out, hey, that's how they do it?> It's not that tough after all. :)

nb. Hahaha, so cute the verification spells fereari, just minus the 'e' ;P