jeudi, octobre 30, 2008

Another Happy Birthday to Me

Not thinking about it will not make me younger so I've decided to just embrace and live with it. It was nice waking up to birthday greetings from the Hub (for once he didn't forget it and didn't need any prompting) and then spending the day receiving text, email, chat and verbal greetings from friends near and far. When you've finally gotten past your mid-thirties, it is nice to know that you have people who matter in your life and that that's all that matters really.

I can say that I've had it good with life thus far. I have a bald patch but still almost all my hair, I have receeding gums but still all of my teeth, I have more fat than I need, baby-smooth skin and new eyesight.

I have survived school though now I've got to live the nightmare through my kids, but at least I've got kids to worry about. Hub doesn't look like the hairless all bronzed Red Indian I (thought I) wanted in my lost youth, but he's the best that one could have for a Hub (pink cheeks, hairy legs and all) so I'm fortunate enough. My parents hurt my ears quarreling with each other even when they're talking to me on the phone, but at least they're still very much alive and kicking.

I didn't become the Millionaire in British Pound Sterling by the age of 30, but I can now afford a Paris-Brest everyday if I so wish (and can find it - which I can't). Besides it gives me the excuse to continue walking into the Tabac-Bar to buy myself a lottery ticket every now and then and decide if whatever pastry they have that morning is worth eating (usually not). Bakers in the neighbourhood must often wonder why I pop my head into their shops and never buy anything. Bread sucks here.

Part of today's lunch

How did I celebrate my birthday today? Well, I spent a bit of the day bringing all 3 kids to and from play dates at different homes. But best of all, I cooked and ate together with Brother C and CL - something I've not done for a long time now and that I've very much missed doing.

Hainanese Chicken Rice with its broth, Tim Sum, Vietnamese Fried Spring Rolls, Chinese Sausage Omelette, Asparagus in Oyster Sauce, Brother C's Special Fried Egg...we spent hours cooking and eating all of that. And the bonus at the end of the afternoon? My first seating in an Osim Massage Chair. I know that I'm very mountain tortoise when it comes to things like this, but luxury like this is rare in Europe and I've left home a really long time ago now. I especially like the part when it downed "fists" on my back. Wouldn't imagine that the Hub would think of getting us one though. He wouldn't blink an eye on paying for good wine, but for a machine that takes up space? No way. So thank you the C's for the experience, I'm really sorry that you and your chair you'll be leaving soon!

Voilà another birthday come and gone for me. Veni vidi vinci. Sort of.

7 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Happy birthday dear Serene! :) May you stay pretty, intelligent, funny and witty all the days of your life. Bless you with every blessing from heaven and may you know that you are cherished and precious to me and many others! God bless!

SIG a dit…

Happy birthday to you. :)

Dutchess a dit…

Happy Birthday my dear!

Anonyme a dit…

Happy B'day dear! I shud really think of getting a new eyesight too :)
-su

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Thank you all dear Ladies!

And Su, it's actually quite worth it, trust me. Do think of getting new eyesight, it'll come in more ways than one.

last frontier a dit…

Happy birthday to you !!!
Like the Oporto wine, as older as better !!!
All the best and I hope to see you some day in Portugal !!! As with your friend from Singapore I'll be delighted to offer you a special portuguese meal at a very nice restaurant.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Thanks Sergio for the wishes, I would certainly love to visit you in Porto or anywhere for that matter. Hopefully one day soon...