jeudi, septembre 09, 2010

Miso Clams


Miso Clams

I was on my way to bed last night when I stopped suddenly in my tracks. I heard water. The horrifying sound of water going drip drip drip...I looked up at the ceiling above me and saw that it was wet.

It had rained in the morning and I know that the roof leaks at times. But I was on the 1st floor and the roof covers the 2nd.

It can only be...the boiler. Again.


I ran up with my heart in my mouth and wished I needn't be right for once. The bathroom upstairs was flooded and the water had flowed over to the storeroom next door.

Beneath the boiler I had kept bath towels, beach towels, kitchen towels, toilet paper, table cloths...and they were all wet, no, thoroughly soaked. In the store room we have lots of clothes, shoes, bags, luggage, toys, gifts, electric goods...Sigh.

I spent 2 hours cleaning up in the middle of the night and the job is not finished yet. But one still has to eat, so I took a break and made myself some Miso Clams for lunch.

Miso Clams :

500g Venus Clams (soaked in salty water and drained)
2 Tsp Peanut Oil
Leek (sliced into squares the size of a clam)
1 Tsp Red Miso paste
2 Tbsp Hot Water
1/2 Tsp Chicken stock granules
1 Tbsp Sake
1 Tsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tsp Light Soy sauce
1 Dried Bird's eye Chilli (crushed)
Pepper to taste

Heat up the peanut oil and fry the leeks till fragrant.

Add the clams and stir-fry to mix them well in the fragrant oil.

When they start to open up, pour in the rest of the ingredients (that you would have mixed together in a bowl beforehand).

Simmer till the clams have all opened up, but do not overcook them.

They could be eaten as they are or over a bowl of fresh udon or Japanese rice.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hope you are feeling much better now after the boiler incident.

Could you get a permanent fix or replacement boiler that is leak proof?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

It's not my home so I guess I'm not going to insist. Plus we may be leaving Italy next year.

Otherwise, I've avoided going up there for 2 days now. I'll finish cleaning up over the weekend.