jeudi, février 11, 2010

Matcha Sponge

Basic Matcha Sponge

I have attended baking classes where they teach you how to bake a basic sponge cake and then cut it into 2 or 3 layers using toothpicks to guide you. I've also bought one of those special wires that help you saw your sponge into layers. Mais cela me fatigue and I often just divide my batter into 2 or 3 and bake 2 or 3 thin sponge cakes in a silicon mould.


This morning I had the geometra visiting to check with me which model and brand I would like to have for a new stove. The current one is not working very well. I've also been up since 4:30 so as to drive the Teenager to the train station for his Venice trip - and trying to keep myself busy and not to give in to the temptation to take a nap. Spent all morning looking at weekend ski trips and realising that everything seemed to be fully booked for the most popular ski week in the season.

With Chocolate whipped cream

To take my mind off sleep for a while, I baked 2 sponge cake layers with matcha green tea powder. Used one of them for a Mango Jelly Cheesecake and the other I cut into squares and sandwiched chocolate whipped cream in between.


Basic Matcha Sponge :

4 large Eggs
120g Sugar
2 Tbsp Matcha powder
A few drops of green food colouring
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
90g Cake flour (sifted twice)

Whisk the eggs and sugar till light and frothy. Add the food colouring and vanilla extract.

Sift the flour with the matcha powder. Gently stir in the flour.

Spoon into a silicon cake mould.

Bake in a preheated oven, middle shelf at 190°C for 10-15 minutes.

Aucun commentaire: