lundi, février 01, 2010

Dried Shrimp, Onion and Chilli Pancake

Dried Shrimp, Onion and Chilli Pancake

I had half a cup of dried shrimp left. I saved them from the dustbin (cleaning lady's here today), remembering all of a sudden that I could have made savoury pancakes with them. Yes!

Dried Shrimp, Onion and Chilli Pancake. It's actually a very versatile pancake, as one can use any variety of vegetables to fill it e.g. radish, carrot, cabbage, spinach, coriander...The dried shrimps add a lovely touch to the pancake giving it some oumpf.

We're locked in today. Hub left with my car and told me not to leave the house. He said he couldn't trust me with the car on the icy roads.

Dried Shrimp, Onion and Chilli Pancake :

200g Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Sugar
1 Egg
Pinch of black pepper
250ml Water
A few drops of Sesame Oil
1/2 cup dried Shrimps (soaked and drained)
1 Onion
1 fresh green Chilli or 2 Chilli padis

In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre and crack the egg in it. Sprinkle some pepper and sesame oil over the egg.

Slowly add the water into the flour as you beat the mixture into a smooth batter. Add the sliced chilli and onions and mix well. Let the batter rest for a while.

Dried shrimps soaked and drained

In a crepe pan, heat up some oil and fry the dried shrimps till fragrant/pungent. Remove and set aside.

Oil the crepe pan evenly and when it's hot, pour a ladleful of the batter in it. Spread it well all over the pan. Sprinkle some dried shrimps all over.

Cook the pancake on both sides and serve it hot. Since I am not fond of industrially-made chilli sauce, I often eat it with a chilli-soy dip that I make myself with soy sauce, chilli padi, minced ginger and some lime juice. Or just on its own.

I've made this pancake with different amounts of water and it's a matter of personal taste as to how much water you want in your batter. Use less if you want a thicker pancake, use more if you want a thinner, crispier pancake. Cleaning lady loved it. I've gone up one more notch in her esteem for this. Plus once again, I've given her some of my leftover curry for her lunch. Truth be told, I'm not being kind. I just couldn't stomach the sight of some of the lunchboxes she came with.

Aucun commentaire: