mercredi, mai 20, 2009

Why am I not a Chinese Beauty in Cheongsam?

Painting of a Girl in Cheongsam

I had images of a pretty Chinese lady in Cheongsam and I remember now that I saw them when I was a little girl. She posed in framed photos hanging on a little wall in a tiny room in a dark and dirty house in Chinatown shared by dozens.

That was Singapore in the 1970s. And the pretty Chinese lady was one of my grandaunts. She arrived in Singapore young and single at the beginning of the last century, worked very hard all her life and never married nor had children. In her old age, she returned to China to retire and live out her final years.

I visited her occasionally with my parents (after which we would eat almond and black sesame desserts at the roadside stalls nearby) and I can still see the tiny room (the size of my current storeroom) she slept in, containing a bed, a table and a few frugal personal items. And of course those photos of her in her younger days. I remember thinking then how pretty she was in her youth and how ugly and wrinkled she had become in her old age. And if you could see the dark and dirty kitchen she shared with countless families and other old people, you would have cringed like I had even then.

Vaguely I believe that she had been much prettier than me. I would love to look like her in those cheongsams. Maybe that is why I rarely have myself photographed - because I will never look like that. Hard to believe how she could become so ugly and wrinkled in her old age.

But would I have liked her life? Had she loved and lost? Had she ever regretted not being able to lead a "normal" life, get married and have children? Did she have regrets each time she looked at herself in those photos? Those years were tough years, women who moved to Singapore either did so to marry Chinese men who had arrived earlier or were there to labour for their survival. I am no Chinese Beauty in Cheongsam, but I could hit the ball to 60m (after 4 lessons) at the driving range and spend my day at 3 supermarkets looking for fresh coriander leaves.

And hopefully I wouldn't be ugly and wrinkled in my old age. Just fat. Should I nonetheless still try to fit into a Cheongsam? In any case, I wonder how I may get my hands on those photos. She must have brought them back with her to China and she must have been dead nearly 2 decades now...

5 commentaires:

Dutchess a dit…

I'm still looking for the right cheongsam too. By right, I mean one that does not make me look like Suzie Wong. And I have only about 1.5 months left to look for it here.

I seen a photo of you in a blue cheongsam and I thought you looked very elegant. That blue really suited your complexion.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Can't fit into it anymore, dear.

Too much hip and tummy...

Pris a dit…

What a contemplative and reflective post! May I ask why did you write a post about your Aunt out of the blue? How old would she be by now?

I myself have never owned a cheongsam before and I know that I should get one, wear it and take photos before I have children...But then again, that´s going to be good motivation if I do have to get pregnant at some pt in time and have to lose weight! hahaha.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Because

1. I can't fit into a cheongsam anymore

2. I'm ageing and this set me thinking about my grandaunt who was a beauty but you wouldn't imagine that seeing her in her later years. She's long dead and gone by the way.

3. In the same vein, I was thinking about how tough life was in the past and how that could have dashed so many hopes and dreams of young women then. Pity to be as pretty as my grandaunt in a cheongsam and to have lived the life she had.

To wear cheongsam, you need either to be slim and have flat tummy - or be old in which case it'll be quite forgiving no matter what your shape is. LOL

SIG a dit…

I would never dream of fitting into a cheongsam, but I agree with you, maybe in old age when it will be forgiven whatever shape you are.. but not now. Haha.