vendredi, mai 15, 2009

Thursday, Friday...

Mini-Quiches

Since I've paid for my Golf membership, I thought I had better return to the club. After 6 weeks' absence. It had been pretty demoralising the first few days as I couldn't seem to hit the ball no matter what I did. But yesterday, after my 4th lesson, I finally started to hit a few decent balls with the N°7 club. You need to have a budget for wasting balls in this sport, man. I am always so tempted to go into the field to pick up some of my wasted balls. Will need to hit thousands of balls to get the right reflex and swing etc. Will also need to live a pretty long life to get some return on investment.

Anyway, I don't like to quit something I've started, especially not just after 2 months. So I ordered a book on (simplified) golf rules on Amazon. Plus a few historical romances by Catherine Coulter and Amanda Quick (this time of the year, I like reading books with hot sex scenes), flute, piano and guitar sheet music, Ghibli Studio DVDs, music CDs and a few other things. It's like going to the supermarket for 3 items and coming out with 30 haha.

While I was in my shopping mood, also bought 8 new fancy dresses for the Babies on Ebay. Everyday is Carnevale in this family as we know. Feeding their Hollywood scriptwriting potential as I tried to justify the expense to the "stingy" Hub. Still waiting for a good moment to mention the 2 tiny diamonds I've ordered on impulse.

I haven't been to the gym for a few months now. And a number of the ladies told me that they couldn't seem to manage it after Easter too. I guess that when the weather is warmer, going to the gym can be depressing. I am quite happy just hanging around the house or garden pottering. I am starting to have roses and chillies, by the way. And while I only had one lily last year, this year I may have at least 5!

Last evening, we went out for dinner - without the kids. Nothing romantic, social dinner with his former English colleague who came over from the UK with 2 important clients (2 Heads from Llyods Banking) to visit Ferrari. I was running late as usual as had to cook dinner for the kids AND for this afternoon's PYP Schools in Italy lunch and probably arrived at the restaurant smelling of chicken tikka masala.

Chicken Tikka Masala

Restaurant in question was MOFO - always a sure value if you wanted somewhere intimate, expensive and creative. I was pretty pleased to have an occasion to dress up for, turned out in Hugo Boss (silk dress and wooden sandals) only to have my mood turn sour when the Hub said that I looked like a sack of potatoes and why didn't I wear that Burberry dress like he asked me to? I've always known that we do not share the same taste in fashion, he always does have that thing for grandmothers. Because I didn't feel like wearing Burberry to meet the English, besides the sleeves were too tight.

Lovely evening we had otherwise - company was great as was the food. I had Squid Ink Gnocco with Scallops to start followed by Fish and Pan-fried Goose Liver. The desserts sounded good too but nobody could eat anything anymore. Had to drive back - barefooted - as the Hub had drunk too much.

The Savoury Buffet (unfortunately most pics didn't turn out)

Finally, thank God I prepared the curry the night before as I was running late as usual this morning trying to bake 24 Mini-Quiches for the buffet lunch. The meal went well, I think, with lovely dishes prepared by the other moms not to forget an appreciative clientele (they were 32!). Even the teachers got to eat some of the food, makes you feel good when you knew that you've made them get over eating the fish in the canteen.


Sweet Buffet

Next week will be horribly busy. Plus I must start to clear out the guestroom, in less than 10 days the MIL will arrive!

10 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Lotus,

What is PYP Schools in Italy lunch? Is it the same as the teachers appreciation lunch where parents prepare food for them?

Like the fact that the international school your kids attend are cosy & personal where parents get to interact with the teachers often & also among the kids' parents. Not like Spore schools which are all so impersonal.

Dutchess a dit…

I know what you mean by going in for 3 items and coming out with 30. Happens to me all the time unless Hubs is physically with me in the store.

Are the diamonds ear studs?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Anon, apparently the PYP schools in Italy visited our school for some workshop or whatever and the PTA offered them lunch as the alternative would have been fish at the canteen. You see, inspite of ourselves we had more compassion than we'd suspected.

Sgp school are very big, it's difficult to compare. But my sis' a Primary school teacher and I know that she has a great rapport with the parents. They have her email, they meet up often etc.

And you wouldn't need lunch buffets like ours - in my memory, school canteen food was great at least in my time!

Finally, many mothers work in Singapore. Here in the ISM, most are expats so most do not work. We do so many things with each other it's scary how small (and limited)the community is.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

J, nope, those diamonds (0.3ct each) are smaller than my current ear studs so I won't need them for the ears. I'm either going to keep them as they are (under seal and with cert) for Baby Girl or I'll have them set as part of a Trilogy ring when I find a suitable coloured diamond centre stone. I want a coloured diamond!

Dutchess a dit…

Ah, so.

0.3 is a good size for a trilogy ring. Canary or pink diamonds would be nice. Something different.

Remember I mentioned how I was going for a trilogy ring? I did try a few but it just didn't look 'right' on my fingers. Pity, because they look so good on the display.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I know what you mean, in fact I think I may have to forget the trilogy ring as they do not suit my fingers either. I am thinking of just a simple pink, blue or green diamond...

SIG a dit…

I love your mini quiches. And yes, not many Pri school teachers are like your sis. I've not tasted the food in my girl's school but her favourite shop is the Japanese one which she goes to every day for her fix of sushi. But I do remember my school canteen food was yummy too!und

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I grew really fat on school canteen food. LOL

Jessica a dit…

I remember this lunch as I was attending the meeting! It was delicious!
Small world... (came across your blog via Modena Expats)... I'll be one of the new teachers this year!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi Jessica,

Shucks, how did my blog get on Modena Expats?

Remind me again, which grade would you be teaching? One of my kids will be having a new teacher...

Well, see you at school on Thursday then!