mardi, mai 12, 2009

Summer Pests


If those anti-mosquito plugs are cancerous and bad for our health, we're in for it. At 2:45 this morning the first mosquitoes woke us up with their insistent humming and I had to go round the rooms putting in the plugs and so there began at least 5 future months of nightly plugs to keep those blood suckers away from our skin. I hate Summer (too).

I do not understand why Modena has to be such a swamp. Mosquitoes, flies, wasps, ants, crickets, spiders, scorpions, lizards, moths...I get them all. You must imagine that warm weather is synonymous with eating out, but that's where you're wrong. Not here. You'll have to spend time battling the flies, wasps and mosquitoes, and before that you'll have to clean up your full-of-pigeon-shit garden furniture. Now you know why most Italians prefer to eat in air-conditioned dining halls in restaurants.

Before the mosquitoes woke me up actually, I had to squish a spider walking across my face. I've been bitten by something, scratching and bleeding everywhere for the past week. Doesn't help when you have sweet fat-filled blood like me.

The next few weeks will be busy ones, with class coffee mornings or lunches to attend or organise, meals to prepare and kids' excursions to think about. We've also been invited and/or are inviting, in other words I'll be doing quite a bit of cooking starting tomorrow. Then MIL will arrive and we'll be off to Sicily at the end of the month. In the meantime, I'll now go get a few more refills for my mosquito plugs. The battle has begun.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Use a moisturizer with natural collodial oatmeal that will help ease the itchiness, I know they sell a certain European oatmeal moisturizer in its pharmacies there but I have forgotten the brand name. Was on a trip to Greece a few years ago when I got some itchy rash developing & visited a pharmacy where the lady explained to me about oatmeal but I did not buy it as it was rather pricey. The collodial oatmeal is the antidote for itchiness. It also reduces the swell developing from insect bites very effectively within a few hours.

Back home in Spore, I use the Aussie brand Dermaveen with 2% collodial oatmeal, fantastic for anti-itch & also very moisturizing. So yes, collodial oatmeal moisturizer really works!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Mmmmm...makes me want to eat oatmeal now, with lots of sweetened condensed milk!

petite fleur a dit…

We used to get all the insects you mentioned in France - except mosquitoes & oh lizards....I guess they never made it to our part of the woods.