jeudi, mai 07, 2009

Stir-fried Shanghai Cabbage

Stir-fried Shanghai Cabbage

Went with E to the Chinese shop in Modena and she bought some Shanghai cabbage and insisted that I get some too. Don't get me wrong - I love eating most Chinese vegetables, but apart from Eldest Son and myself (and the Hub when the fancy strikes him), nobody else in the family is keen on them, so I tend to become lazy about preparing any, which is ridiculous since it's such a simple and easy dish to make.

For my vegetarian friends who live near the Chinese shop in via della Pace, you may wish to buy some the next time and prepare the dish yourself. Delicious served with some steamed jasmine rice.

Basically peanut oil, diced garlic cooked till fragrant, add in the washed and sliced vegetables and then the sauce (e.g. light soy sauce, dry sherry/Chinese cooking wine, sugar, oyster sauce and toasted sesame oil). Quick stir-frying to be employed so as not to overcook the vegetables. They should remain crunchy.

I added a little of this ginger-garlic-fresh chilli paste that I made recently to go with my Hainanese Chicken Rice and the ginger added a tang to the taste that was really nice.

If you so wish, top with some fried shallots or onions.

Aucun commentaire: