mercredi, mai 27, 2009

Indian Feast and Mughlai Chicken Biryani

Thali

Those who have been following my blog know that I spend my time eating or thinking about what I would next eat. Then I would spend the time in between lamenting about how fat I am and how it is so unfair that all around me women are losing kilos for the coming Summer. Well, c'est la vie, don't we all need something to look forward to and something to complain about?

This morning, I went to the driving range to hit a few balls (dressed in a linen skirt and ethnic cotton top that billowed in the breeze - must say I looked quite out of place), zoomed off to Spezzano to buy a few cakes and then picked up P and made our way to Sh's place for a cooking demonstration followed by lunch. I am so behind in my preparations for both MIL's arrival and our coming trip to Trapani (Sicily), but could find no will to resist this occasion to binge...

View from Sh's balcony

The Spread

Sh's in her element as usual. When we arrived she had already finished making a Dal Makhani and a Chicken Methi and was ready to start on the Mughlai Chicken Biryani. R wanted to learn how to make one and I am always ready to eat one.

Dal Makhani and Mughlai Chicken Biryani

Mughlai Chicken Biryani :

Chicken pieces
Onion
Fresh Mint leaves
Coriander leaves
Ginger-Garlic paste
Yoghurt
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander Seeds
Ground Turmeric
Salt
Lemon juice
Bay leaves
Cardamom
Cinnamon bark
Cloves
Cumin seeds
Black Peppercorns
Basmati Rice
Ghee/Vegetable oil

Brown sliced onions and set half aside.

Marinate chicken with half of the browned onions, half the fresh mint and coriander leaves, yoghurt, ginger-garlic paste, ground spices, salt and lemon juice.

Wash and drain the basmati rice. In a pot heat up some oil and fry the bay leaves and whole spices till fragrant. Add to the rice. Then add in water and salt to taste. Use 2 cups water to one cup rice taking care to decrease the amount of water (in proportion) when you increase the quantity of rice to be used. Boil the rice till it is half-cooked. Cooking it entirely could make the biryani soggy.


Heat up some oil and cook the marinated chicken pieces in it.


Finally one could finish cooking the biryani either on the fire or in an oven. Sh did it on her cooker. In a pot, spoon in one layer of the fragrant rice followed by a layer of the cooked chicken. Top with another layer of rice and cover with fresh mint and coriander leaves and the remaining browned onions. Cover with a tight lid (or one could use chapati dough to line the lid to seal it better) and simmer till the rice is cooked. To serve, dig through the layers.

Chicken Methi, Jeera Rice, Naan

We had a buffet-style lunch on this day. K made some yummy Naans (that would be my next lesson) and P some Lentil Pakoras and there was also a fruit dessert. And we ate on Thalis - this part I adore. I want to buy a few Thalis too. I think it's so cool to have your food all on your plate.

Lentil Pakora

Fruit

Well, Ladies, thanks once again for lunch! And hopefully the next one will be at my place.

Aucun commentaire: