dimanche, mai 24, 2009

Spring BBQ for French Speakers

This year they grew hay next door

Last year I did a big birthday party for Hub and would have done the same this year if not for my trip to London. So the compromise was to do a Spring BBQ with people he would like to invite and it so happened that they were all French speakers : French, Italian, Dutch, German and Francophone. All 13 of them.

Antipasti

I decided for once not to complicate my life by preparing a million dishes like I usually do. Just the usual fresh salad, nasi goreng, taboulé, tomato-mozzarella, bruschetta, curry puffs (they went well even with the adults), Italian antipasti, chicken wings...and the most tender Argentinian Beef Entrecote and American Picanha imported directly from the Americas - thanks to CA who owns a business doing that. Not to forget French cheese, fresh fruit, yummy desserts courtesy of RP, a few bottles of good red wine and lots of cool Bavarian beer (thanks to Hub's new recruit's German partner) - Hub is always delighted to have a few people to drink with.

Chicken wings, peppers and chillis

The chicken wings turned out really well especially when the Hub didn't carbonate them as usual. I marinated them the day before with tomato paste, paprika, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar, honey and BBQ sauce.

Argentinian Beef and American Picanha

The beef was worth every cent I've paid for it, it was juicy, tender and so very delicious. We all had seconds and thirds and LB was right the other day when she advised me not to bother with other stuff like sausages or gambas as nobody would want anything else once they've tried the beef. And it helped that French-speaking people usually eat rare beef - making it a pleasure cooking it.


The company was great. With DC we had a good laugh as usual and while he told us stories about encounters with the werewolf and sightings of the Virgin Mary in his part of old Italy, I shared a few of my favourite ghost stories from Singapore.

The 1st watermelons were not as good as the 1st cherries or strawberries

RP made us the most amazing Chocolate Muffins and Lemon Tart. Hub couldn't stop raving about them, he was fortunate I'm not the jealous sort. Well, I was the one who suggested that she do the desserts since I know she's great at them.

RP's Chocolate Muffins

and Lemon Tart

I am so tired. We have more travelling and more parties ahead of us - though I'm pleased to say that we've been invited to most of them for once. In the meantime, I must really start to tidy up the house - MIL arrives in less than 4 days!

Kids playing

2 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Wow, lovely bbq... makes me feel like having one too hahaha, but too much work.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hear the daily bento-maker speak!