dimanche, novembre 02, 2008

Pan-Fried Carrot/Radish Cake with Chinese Sausage and Dried Scallops 煎萝卜糕

煎萝卜糕

I finally found my Chinese white radish (lobah/daikon). Have been having a craving for it for a few weeks and was frustrated when Petite Fleur beat me to it (and ate it without me). This afternoon I told the Hub not to get in my way so as to allow me to prepare and eat my Pan-Fried Carrot Cake with Chinese Sausage and Dried Scallops 煎萝卜糕 in peace. Forgot Baby Girl though. She came by and ate up almost everything before I could stop her. But luckily I have loads of the good stuff on standby.

Chinese Radish

Pan-Fried Carrot/Radish Cake :

Chinese Sausage (diced)
Dried Scallops (soaked, drained and shredded)
Garlic (minced)
Chilli (finely sliced)
350g Chinese White Radish (shredded)
600ml Water
1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
Salt to taste (e.g. 1 Tbsp)
Pinch of Pepper
Thickening : 500ml Water, 350g Rice Flour, 25g Corn Starch

In a pot heat up some oil and fry the Chinese sausages and dried scallops. Add in the garlic and fry it till it's fragrant. Add in the white radish and stir fry for a few minutes.

Season with the sugar and salt and then pour in the water. Bring it to the boil and add in the ingredients for thickening. Stir well.

Once the mixture has thickened, pour it into foiled-lined containers for steaming and steam for about 45 minutes. I've also tried microwaving small portions and it only takes a few minutes.

Steamed Carrot Cake

Cut up the steamed carrot cake and use it as you wish.


I heated up a little bit of oil in a non-stick frying pan and grilled slices of the carrot cake on both sides till golden brown and crispy (on the outside).

In Singapore, we also like to eat it with egg :

Fried Carrot Cake with Egg (white)

Heat up some oil in a frying pan and brown some garlic. Add the steamed carrot cake and cut it up into small cubes with the spatula as you fry it. Sprinkle in some fish sauce and the fresh chilli. Push the carrot cake aside in the pan.

Heat up more oil. Beat an egg and add it to the oil. Once it is almost cooked, push the carrot cake onto the egg. Turn off the heat. For the black version, add ketchup manis and dark soy sauce to the carrot cake and stir fry/scramble everything together. Serve hot with spring onions, coriander leaves etc.

I didn't use chai poh as I didn't have any.

Needless to say the diet's off (again) for the day. But it's really so satisfying to eat this simple dish. This is comfort food.

3 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

You know, I've been wanting to do this for ages just been mega lazy.

Dutchess a dit…

Back in the Netherlands I would make this at least once a month. Chinese radish is hard to come by there so when I see some, I make a grab for it. That and sweet potatoes.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

D, you can get carrot cake in every corner of the street back home, I'd be surprised if you bothered.

J, I love sweet potatoes too - but nobody else in the family does :-(.