samedi, novembre 22, 2008

Making my own Five Stones

5 Stones filled with Red Beans

Baby Boy's current Unit of Enquiry is about Play and the teacher was asking parents if we would like to share a game we knew with the children. Well, of course I hadn't any idea, I mean, I'm such a hardworking and serious person do you think I spent my childhood playing?

But I guess that I did play quite a bit after all. Especially when the games I had as a kid were very portable, didn't cost much and required just a friend or 2 for playing with.

I remember that during recess, we would rush out to the playground and play catching sometimes hopping on one leg for added difficulty. Another group game we enjoyed was Eagle catches Chicks. Then when mom agreed to buy me a whole bag of rubber/elastic bands, I used them to make myself a very long rope and I would play skipping games with it with a few girl friends. It was something I could bring along with me everywhere, any spare moment I had e.g. while waiting for the school bus I would whip it out and start skipping. Other times, we would use a spare exercise book, draw (sometimes in 3-D) furniture, rooms etc and used it as background for our home-made or bought paper dolls.

I was also very nostalgic for my 5 Stones. Mom couldn't sew but she managed to buy us 5 stones of different sizes and fillings to play with. I prefer the bean fillings, those stuffed with rice were too compact and difficult to catch.

As a matter of fact, I even left Singapore more than a decade ago with a set or 2 actually. But I couldn't remember where I've kept them since my last move and if I still have them.

Told Baby Boy's teacher about it and she said she would try to make them if I would come show the class how to play the game. I'm absolutely lousy at sewing, but I am also very impatient, plus I am very rusty now not having played 5 Stones for more than 2 decades. Those kids would laugh at me if I couldn't catch half of my stones...

So I searched and found a blog that taught us how to make the 5 stones. I used Baby Girl's old tights and the material's probably too soft and elastic for the method she showed us, so I improvised and came out with 5-stoney-looking 5 Stones somehow. A bit too big for my delicate hands though. And probably will burst after a few throws. I don't have a sewing machine and had to hand-sew the bean bags.



But I'm so damn happy to have done it. Made them after our heavy dinner at the Churrasco restaurant (would you believe it - we were 18!!! 7 adults and 11 kids - but we survived) last evening so I went to bed really happy even though the stomach felt too rich. Now I just need to practise a little.

6 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood and nodding my head to every game that you mentioned. Those were such simple and happy times. Every recess could see us groups of girls zero point and five stones. I think the rubber band stuff is banned now, if not wrong. I still have some of my paperdolls, can you believe it? But need to search for them.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Why did they ban the rubber bands?

Those were indeed happy times. When you think of the PSP and Nintendo rubbish they make us buy our kids nowadays...

I probably still have my paper dolls too if my parents hadn't thrown them out. Will think of looking for them when I next go home. Imagine your girl playing with YOUR dolls?

petite fleur a dit…

Rubber band skipping rope, 5 stones, chatek...we had so much fun with them. Thanks for sharing this cos now I'm thinking I might make this for our next playgroup.

Anonyme a dit…

Gosh, this post brought back memories. Now I KNOW we are the same generation! ;)

Hey, I've tagged you! Check out this post for details: http://www.joyfuldays.com/2008/11/ive-been-tagged-6-random-things-about-me/

SIG a dit…

Ya, I know! About the rubber band. I thought I heard about it before. Maybe dangerous when they go jumping etc? I have no idea! Abt the paper dolls - I know!!! How cool right? We even have the playmobil from when I was small. She's playing with some of them.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Eh Daphne, no need to say it so loudly leh. Sigh, I did notice that most of my fellow bloggers are in their 30s. The teenagers are too busy studying for exams, those in their 20s are starting their careers, left only the ah sohs to blog about their boring lives lor.

SIG, I've almost forgotten the chatek, now I feel like having one too. Maybe should kill the pigeons shitting outside my main door for their feathers. And you're lucky to have had Playmobil as a kid, I think we weren't rich enough for that.