samedi, novembre 08, 2008

Chicken Tikka Masala

Chicken Tikka Masala (with one stray egg)

The first time I ate Chicken Tikka Masala I was a student in Paris leading a Chinese-speaking tour group on a weekend trip to London. Eh yes, though I had a scholarship, I still worked (e.g. tour guide, translator/interpreter, part-time language school Assistant...) whenever I could because I enjoyed it and as I had to support Eldest Son who was of course a baby then.

I remember that it was in a highway restaurant. And it was good. Since then I've eaten it in Indian restaurants in London, Paris, New York, Sydney and Stuttgart and have over the years come up with my own recipe for the dish. Hub and the kids love it probably because of its high tomato and cream content. Sometimes it also has a hint of coconut in it.

I have been told that the dish is not really Indian. That the British have adopted it to suit their palate and that it has become their national dish. Good for them.

It's called Chicken Tikka Masala because it comes from the traditional Chicken Tikka. So basically one has to make the Tikka (grilled pieces of meat) first before making the rest of the curry.

Chicken Tikka :

500g Chicken filet cut into bite-sized pieces and marinated overnight with
Ginger powder or minced fresh Ginger
Ground Cumin
Cround Cinnamon
Ground Chilli
Ground Turmeric
Ground Coriander
Ground Pepper
Ground Paprika
Salt
Lime Juice
1 cup Yoghurt

The Gravy :
Butter
Onion
Garlic
Ground Cumin
Ground Coriander
Ground Paprika
Garam Masala
Fresh Chilli
250ml Tomato Purée
Diced Tomatoes
250ml Cream (e.g. Crème Fraîche, Mascarpone)
2 Tbsp Coconut cream (optional)
Fresh Coriander leaves

It's great grilling the Tikka on a BBQ during BBQ season and then using the leftovers for a Tikka Masala. In colder months, one can cook the meat in an oven or like me when I'm lazy, just cook it till it's nicely browned in some butter on my heavy grill or non-stick wok.

If using the last solution, remove the browned meat pieces and set aside. Using the same butter left in the wok, brown the diced onion and minced garlic till fragrant. Add in the ground spices and stir fry for a minute or 2, then stir in the diced tomatoes (fresh or tinned) followed by the tomato purée. Stir and mix well with the spices, then add in the cream. Lower the heat and simmer till the sauce thickens, stirring from time to time.

10 minutes before serving, add the grilled Chicken Tikka into the sauce. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with buttered Basmati rice, naan or chapati.

2 commentaires:

petite fleur a dit…

This is uncanny.....Talk about thinking alike again. I just bought the ingredients & planning to make it this week.

It's something I've never done before. Good I'm going to try your recipe then.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

What can I say? Great minds think alike, smart stomachs eat alike blah blah...

Let me know if the recipe suits you.