mercredi, novembre 19, 2008

Chiesa Matrice Carpense di Santa Maria, Carpi

Inside the church

Somebody told us that Carpi (north of Modena) has this piazza that's unique in Italy so though we've already been to the city last year, we made our way there again just in case we've missed out on something the last time.

But honestly, having seen a number of beautiful, even unique plazas/squares before, we didn't see what's so special about Carpi's. Discovered one walkway filled with Chinese-owned shops though. Lousy stuff.


Then we walked around and saw a library situated in a restored old building. Lovely library with an interesting mediathèque. And next to it - a small but beautiful church. I think it's called the Chiesa Matrice Carpense di Santa Maria but I'm not sure.



It has beautiful frescos, is made of stone and brick and doesn't have that cold feel to most churches built with marble. Come to think of it, I probably like it because it's like the church version of my current house.

The façade

Hub and I noticed that there were many Indian people in the city. Quite a number were watching Bollywood movies at the library using free internet access. I wondered if we shouldn't stop one to ask if there was an Indian restaurant around. But Hub said they probably eat at home like most respectable Indian families do. In any case, if there were an Indian restaurant in Carpi we would have heard of it. Come to think of it, the last time I went all the way to Carpi it was to check out this Pakistani fastfood but it turned out to be a Kebab shop. I know I know, what distance wouldn't I cover when it comes to food.

Update 22/11/08 : Good thing about having friends read your blog, Mu & P told me last night over dinner that they knew an Indian restaurant in Carpi!

Aucun commentaire: