vendredi, novembre 14, 2008

Ladies' Night - Mama Mia!


Much as I insist that housewiving is a tough job and that we deserve a separate pension scheme, tax break, paid holidays and so on, I must say that I am often uneasy about leaving the Hub alone with the kids and running off to enjoy myself. The guy works long hours and doesn't get to see us much - it seems cruel to have him return home to no hot dinner and a bunch of screaming kids.

But I do need an occasional break from the family after "office hours" (housewiving as we know is a 24/7 operation) and it does do the Hub some good to have the kids to himself from time to time. You know what they say, a man usually becomes a father when he acts like one. If the guy's only good for bringing the dough home (though that's the major part of the job description), we do not need to have him around and I'd rather be living with my mom and let her do the housewiving.

In this spirit, the PTA organises a Ladies' Night once a month and if the Hub's around (and available for earlier dismissal from work), I would try to make it. He would still try his luck and ask if I could get dinner ready before he returns and I will gently remind him that it wouldn't be my night off if I had to cook dinner etc, would it?

Our last Ladies' Night was held at the cinema. We went for the English screening of Mama Mia! at Victoria Cinema - currently the only cinema in Modena screening a weekly movie in English. You don't really get a chance to talk or interact when watching a movie - but I guess the fact that we made an appointment to go watch it together = doing something together.

It would have been better if we could have had a drink either before or after the movie, but it was a Tuesday night in a school week so nobody could afford the time. Anyway, R, Rb and myself (all Scorpions) did try to liven things up a bit by offering those who turned up a piece of our joint Birthday cake - a very good Saint Honoré by the way. Only we didn't have a lighter (at least nobody smokes) and we had to sing, cut and eat in like 5 minutes flat. Still, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!!!

Forever 21

R and myself missed out on the start of the movie (had to clear up) and couldn't even get to our allocated seats. But we thoroughly enjoyed the movie which was based on the famous Broadway musical of the same name. I love Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan (of my old favourite Remington Steele), Greece and of course all the old ABBA songs. N sang through the film, boy, was she one great fan. The next day, I must say, I was so inspired I went on the Net and ordered the new ABBA Singstar game for PS2. Now I'll need to hunt for the mics. So that me too I'll be able to sing. R said maybe we should dress up in the ABBA costumes and do a party ourselves :-). Didn't think those tight shiny stuff would flatter my dumpling figure so maybe not.

Did I mention that almost all the female teachers of the school were also at the cinema that night? This is how much of a small world Modena is. At least if the kids didn't do their homework that evening their teachers would understand why.

Aucun commentaire: