dimanche, novembre 30, 2008

I've been Tagged! - Twice

I got tagged twice (thanks to Daphne and Muriel) with the same Meme (i.e. 6 random things about myself) in the same week, which makes me wonder if I should be writing down 12 random things about myself. Haha.

So here goes :
  1. I hate not answering phone calls, emails, letters, any messages. You can imagine that I wouldn't refuse to do a Meme when asked to. Besides the fact that I'm a curious cat, I also think it impolite not to answer anybody (except my own children) when they talk to you. My dad closes doors on salepeople's noses, Hub bangs the phone down on unwanted calls - but even if they were Jehovah's Witnesses I would try to listen them out (and I did) and then bid farewell gently. I believe in one's right to express oneself (except when they're my children). Otherwise, I'd probably feel uneasy for the rest of the day. And I like to have the last word - because I have to reply.

  2. I hate losing. It's not exactly the same as only liking to win - for I am not unhappy when I do not win. But defeat tires me and will set me on a long process of analysing why I lost and how I should do better the next time. Failure as they say is the mother of success. When I do something, I usually give it my best shot. Or I wouldn't even do it in the first place. Though with age, I'm starting to be very forgiving with myself.

  3. I had some sort of Hong Kong Foot when I was a kid. Dry scaly skin on both feet, blisters etc. I had it for years and no matter what I did (e.g. doctor's medicine, cotton socks, creams...), it refused to go away. It gave me a complex, I refused to do sports, I was fat and quite miserable. Then in adolescence, when puppy fat melted away in other girls turning them into swans (with acne?), I kept mine, remained a pork, but the skin problem disappeared. I had baby soft/smooth skin all over and still do.

  4. I love food (yes, we all know that). But just because I love to eat doesn't mean that I'd eat anything. I'm very very fussy about what I eat e.g. I don't eat mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, yoghurt, jams, preserved/pickled food, dried fruit, most fruits and vegetables, most industrially-made sauces, most cheeses, game, rabbit, horsemeat...I'm fat because whatever little I like I eat loads of it. When I was a kid, I only ate plain muah chee, plain Kueh Tutu (still do), plain almost everything. So one reason I cook alot is so that I can control what goes into my food. I will probably eat mayonnaise or jam if I made it myself.


  5. I have low attention span. When I was at school, I was an independent student and had to study alot on my own because I would normally fall asleep/daydream within minutes of the teacher talking. But I catch the gist of things rather quickly and realised early on that one doesn't need to be brilliant to do well. Just have to understand and if possible also enjoy what one has to study. I could read, synthesize, analyse better than most kids my age. I left Primary School with full Distinctions and an average higher than my cousin who went on to gifted stream; from Secondary School 1st in class and 8th in standard; finished Junior College among the top 1000 students in Singapore (out of 16000 who sat for the "A" Levels). But having low attention span is a handicap and an embarassment.


  6. Like my mom, I go for the fait divers (e.g. other news). This freaks out Hub and the in-laws. I need to know who died from what, who raped who, who murdered who, who got bombed, how people suffer etc etc. I love documentaries and usually read the newspaper from cover to cover (obituaries, births, marriages and advertisements included) and may even go online to check out other versions in same or different languages. Hub said he couldn't understand why I do that as I often get so affected by what I've read that I would lose sleep or be miserable and angry for days. I am not fond of children in general, but nothing hurts me more than knowing that millions of children out there are being abused in some way everyday. Someone said that it's my missionary streak. Even as a child I had wanted to change the world. Once I told off 2 kids my age for torturing fish in a pond and their dad came and asked me why I was telling off his children. I turned round and told him that he should be ashamed of himself, that as an adult not only wasn't he setting an example but was condoning his children in barbarious acts. Mom dragged me away telling me that I should avoid trouble and mind my own business - which infuriated me as I thought even then that if everybody minded a little of other people's business when they had to maybe the world would have been a better place.
I started playing the game, je vais jusqu'au bout. I now tag the following 6 people for this Meme :
  1. Last Frontier
  2. One Wheel
  3. Bella Tigre
  4. ASAAAN
  5. Rojak Rendezvous
  6. Pris' Life in Germany

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hey thanks for taking part! Your post was so intimate and funny as usual. I love the honest admission about needing to have the last word. So you are going to reply to this comment right? ;)

Daphne

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Ahem, actually, I was thinking that actually no, I don't have to as now I'm old and am getting better at ignoring people - but then, you can't read minds by any chance, can you? If I don't tell you this you wouldn't know, would you? LOL