dimanche, septembre 09, 2007

Prawn and Mango Wan Tons


I went to the Mantova and Max Mara outlets last week. For some reason many women told me that I was brave to do so alone. Most have been here at least for a year or 2 and have never gone shopping in those places alone. But I guess that I'm not like most women. I actually enjoy my own boring company very much.

And I did get lost on my way to the Max Mara and Geox outlets. They were having roadworks and the GPS had not been informed about it. Took me 2 hours instead of one to get there, but I wasn't conned twice, got back in under an hour.


Though you wouldn't see me going back anytime soon. Not worth the time, petrol and effort. I could spend 8 hours a week in Metzingen, but over here, in less than 2 I was ready to leave. Except for the Haute Couture (which I can't afford), Italian fashion in general is too flashy and tacky for me. And for last Season's offerings, the prices are way too high. I was told that shopping would be much more interesting in Milan. R said that we should take a train to Milan and shop there. So we shall.

Last evening we had surprise guests from France. Some childhood connaissance of Hubby's who was on his way to Croatia with his girlfriend. And this morning, the minute they left, I had to prepare lunch as R and her 2 girls were coming. Her 2 boys have gone to Monza for the F1 race today. Like my Hubby and Eldest Son. I couldn't go as it wasn't advised to bring the babies along. Maybe next year. R said that Monaco would be worth the trip.

She requested for a Chinese meal, so I made Prawn and Mango Wan Tons to start, followed by Ginger Chicken, Oily Rice, Black Pepper Prawns and Steamed Fish. But no photos to show for the effort, Hubby took my camera along with him.

I got rid of my leftover Okra with success too. R tried it and said that it was "dynamite" (I consider it a compliment since she's Indian) and took it home with her for her French hubby to try. She said that I had to cook her the dish again.

She also gave me a friendly warning. We Singaporeans are known to be friendly, outspoken, open, trusting and talkative (actually she said that I have a Big Mouth). I meet anybody I like and that person would be eating in my home in no time and would know everything about me and my mother. Over here in Modena, Ferrari families are observed, scutinised and talked about. So I ought to watch what I say and do. Apparently I wouldn't know anybody, but very soon everybody will know me.

She is right, of course. Which is why Hubby always keeps me at a distance when we go anywhere near his office. On the other hand, the truth is that I don't give a damn about what people say or think about me. First of all, I believe that we are accountable only to ourselves. I am who I am. You can't stop people from bad-mouthing you and can only leave them to find their peace with themselves. Secondly, it is horrible, but I am so full of myself that you can tell me otherwise, but I will always think that I'm intelligent, good-looking, interesting and wonderful and that's it, I'm afraid (wide grin). Thirdly, I would probably be caught slurping my soup or screaming at my kids in public, but that's the truth, I do it in private too. And who said that that's bad or wrong?

Back to the Wan Tons, they were quite good, I was told. I don't eat mangoes so I didn't try them. I made mangoless versions for myself and they were tasty. Actually, you can probably fill the skins with anything and they'll taste good anyway.

Prawn and Mango Wan Tons :
Wan Ton Skins
Raw peeled juicy Prawns
Ripe Mangoes
Red Onion
Plum Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Coriander Leaves

The Dip :
Plum Sauce
Rice Wine
Light Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Shredded Ginger
Red Chilli (optional)

Marinate the prawns in the plum sauce. On each wan ton skin, arrange a prawn, a slice of mango, a few strips of onion and a few coriander leaves. Fold as you like and deep fry. Serve with the plum sauce dip. Basta.

I'm starting Italian lessons tomorrow morning! And will have a busy week as usual. The spiders are back so I'll need to vacuum and I just realised that nothing much will happen in the school where activities are concerned and that I had better start looking around for activities e.g. football, ballet, tennis, guitar, judo, golf etc for my kids to join if it's not too late already. Hubby's going to look into getting us membership at the Golf Club opposite the house, but R said the problem is that there are only old people there and when you bring the kids to the pool, you get nasty looks all the time (kids scream, as you may know). Maybe I should dig a hole in the field and build one myself.

1 commentaire:

East Meets West Kitchen a dit…

I've made prawn and mango wantons before, and they're tasty!
Lovely menu you prepared!