mercredi, septembre 05, 2007

Japanese Lunch in Modena

I was given an exclusive tour of where the Indian and Chinese grocery shops are in Modena today. Courtesy of R. They are very small shops, but found Ribena, Milo, Heinz Baked Beans, Jack n Jill Potato Chips, jelly, fresh okra, condensed milk, Maggi Mee (from Sri Lanka) etc in the Chinese shop. Pity no galanga, lemongrass, Chinese vegetables and fresh stuff like that. But better than nothing, right? Oh, bought a box of fresh Indian Mangoes from the Indian shop too!

May have also found myself a place to do a decent Brazilian wax through the other Ferrari wife (R's very good friend) who lives in the heart of Maranello.

I was brought to a Chinese-run Japanese restaurant Fujiyama (only the Chinese could come out with a name like that) for lunch. While the other ladies had sushi and maki, me (never eat raw food kind) gobbled down 2 plates of Ebi Tempura. Then the Chinese waiter came over and asked me if I was from Singapore.

Eh? How did he guessed that? I didn't speak English the way I normally do because I'm not with Singaporeans. But the Sushi Chef is Singaporean and he suspected that I may be one.

Name's Michael. He's the only Singaporean in Modena according to him so now I guess we are 2. There are many Singaporean chefs in Milan though. The point is, we are exporting our chefs!!! Recognition of our foodie status. We not only eat well, but cook well too! Bravo Singapore Chefs!

Tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, I'll be off to the Mantova Outlet. R said that I am crazy to want to go there alone as she thinks that I may get lost. But what the heck, shopping calls out like a siren's song and I can resist no more.

5 commentaires:

One Wheel a dit…

So did u chit chat in Singlish with the chef? :) The food nice ?

Anonyme a dit…

Wah, finally, you find another Singaporean in your area. Plus he is a chef! Yum :-P
- Elaine (Turin)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I didn't eat sushi so can't say, though the other 2 girls were enjoying it. The tofu starter wasn't good though as they didn't use silken tofu, just lousy Chinese ones. The ebi tempura wasn't bad though. Will try the udon and yakitori the next time.
Elaine, am thinking of calling him up, always good to talk to another Singaporean plus he's all alone here.

BibouMummy a dit…

WOW! How about that! It's great how Singaporeans often attrack each other like magnets. I hope you had a good time. Thanks again for your contractor recommendation. Fingers crossed for us!
btw, I just realized that you are in THE Modena...as in like aren't you in the midst of a huge funeral?biz

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I have been avoiding Modena like the plague since Friday but still got into a big jam Friday evening on my way home from MacDonald's. He was at the Duomo, but I didn't go see, not a Pavarotti fan though I have a big DP CD collection from Reader's Digest in S'pore.
He is from around my place though, my Italian friend had her wedding party at his restaurant (in the village next door) and his sister used to be her sports teacher in school.
Guests just left and another batch turning up so got to go work.