samedi, juin 06, 2009

San Vito Lo Capo, Sicily

San Vito Lo Capo

I believe that we should all have access to the beach whether we are rich or poor. I am therefore quite disturbed by the fact that in Italy, private beaches dominate the coastline and one usually has to pay to use the beach. And if the beach is public, you usually wouldn't be able to enjoy a free shower. But in the very least, wherever you are, you'll still be able to go topless if you so wish. How else could one get an even tan, right?


We headed for the sea after checking into our hotel (the room wasn't ready since we arrived at 8am). It was just round the corner from the hotel, but the beach was narrow and dirty (crazy how people still throw their rubbish everywhere in this day and age) and the water a little too cold. So we took the car and drove an hour to San Vito Lo Capo - reputed for its white sandy beaches and clear blue waters.


All in a day's digging

We were not disappointed. Wide expanse of sandy beaches (both public and private), beautiful sea with reasonably warm water and almost nobody around. We rented 3 deckchairs for a good price (low season rate) and spent the day there. Every now and then there would be people selling fake designer sunglasses or bags, beach towels, coconut slices, costume jewellery, massages etc etc. "Prego!" that's what you would hear all the time from those vendors trying to catch your attention, and when you had your boobs soaking up the sun like me it could get really irritating. On the subject of the anatomy, MIL took a look at my tummy and suggested that I go for a tummy tuck. Who's going to pay for it?



The children could touch the bottom of the sea for quite a distance as there is some sort of island/sand bank just a few metres from the beach. This means that one could afford to take a tiny nap now and then without having to worry about the kids drowning. They swam, played with the waves, made sand ditches (not castles), had a great time.



I tan easily and nicely, so now I don't look Chinese anymore. Soon I'll be able to visit Vietnam and blend in - though they'll probably wonder what I've eaten to become so fat, definitely not just Pho.

4 commentaires:

petite fleur a dit…

You're not Chinese, the fact that you sunbathe topless makes you officially a European. I'm definitely no prude but that's still something I haven't gotten myself to do yet. Haha not that I have much boobs to expose, in the first place.

I HEART sicily but never went to the places you mentioned. I stayed at my friend's summer house just outside Messina. He brought me to Syracuse, Taormina & Stromboli.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Actually, when one does not have alot of boobs, it's perfect for going topless. I was super shy when I first went to a beach in Europe (was it Corsica?) but after seeing naked men and women of all shapes and sizes on a few Greek beaches, I started to love the feel of just being in my birthday suit with the sun and sea caressing me.

You were at the eastern part of the island, I imagine? We would love to visit Syracuse another time. Also Palermo and Catania.

Anonyme a dit…

Did one of the peddlers there do a braided hairstyle for yr daughter? Or its you who did it?

My take on going topless for a Sporean is that its not a monopoly of any race. Anyone can do it. If I am not wrong in Asia, Balinese women were once upon a time topless, all the time, not selectively.

I also read somewhere that mainland Chinese now do skinny dipping, here is the news some time ago:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1423846.htm

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I braided the girl's hair myself. Was sick of seeing it go into her mouth, eyes etc.

I do remember seeing paintings and photos of topless Balinese women when I was in Bali. Even the Muslim Indonesian women in the past used to be much more carefree about the way they dressed (if you watched the old movies). Once you let the men talk more and very loudly, you see what they manage to do - get most women paranoid about their bodies and what trouble they would invite etc.