mardi, juillet 31, 2007

Fleur de Courgette Frite, Vinaigre Balsamique et Miel and Beef Cappaccio

Male Zucchini Flowers

Umami
blogged about her Fried Zucchini flowers the other day and set me thinking that I should make some myself. On my visit to the supermarket this afternoon, I came across some lovely male zucchini flowers (she bought the female flowers the other day, they are the ones carrying the vegetable) and so bought 12 of them to make some Fleur de Courgette Frite, Vinaigre Balsamique et Miel (Fried Zucchini Flower with Balsamic Vinegar and Honey). Male flowers keep slightly better than the female ones, in any case not to be kept for more than 2-3 days in the fridge as they wilt really fast.

I made a simple Tempura batter , but made it smooth so that I will not have the sexy lumps for a change. Added in some coarse sea salt and then lightly coated the flowers in the batter. Fried them gently in a mix of olive and sunflower oil and served them hot with grated Parmesan cheese and a sauce made of Honey and Balsamic Vinegar.

They were really light, slightly crispy yet tender and delicious. Baby Girl loved it (goes really well with the cheese and sauce - sharp, sweet and sour) and I had to persuade her to wait for her daddy to come home before we cook the other half of the flowers. These fried flowers will do great as an appetiser, eaten with a few glasses of Champagne or Prosecco. They can also be stuffed (e.g. with cheese) and fried or baked in an oven. Many possibilities...

Meat Bone to enrich the Soup

I made a Leek and Potato Soup to start, followed by another starter of Beef Cappaccio. My kids eat raw beef. In fact, they love it. So this no-need-to-cook dish is occasionally served in this house. Just spread out the wafer-thin slices of beef, add Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, Salt, Pepper and Lemon Juice and it's ready for consumption!

Beef Cappaccio

I am still working hard to try to get the house ready for the new school year (starting in September). As the kids will need alot of my help when they start their 1st year in an English-speaking school. Also, I'll be learning Italian then and will have most mornings taken by the lessons. And I expect our social life to start again, the expatriate community here being small and rather active. Apparently there is a Ferrari Women's Club and as a Ferrari Wife I'm expected to join. Hmm...maybe I'll be able to start a monthly Cook-Together session once I'm in it. That would be quite fun, don't you think so?

5 commentaires:

Dutchess a dit…

Mrs *Ahem* Ferrari, LOL..... I'm so jealous of the kinds of vegetables available over at your end. This Fleur de Courgette Frite looks like something I will enjoy. Pity I can't find it here. Oooh, and I lurve Beef Carpaccio too! Our recipes are rather similar except I throw in a basil pesto in the seasoning as well.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

If I let them have their way, there would be pickled cucumbers etc with the cappaccio as well. But well, I like it simple so if I'm the one doing it it'll just be the basic ingredients.
As for the zucchini flower, if you have zucchini you should also have the flower. No harm checking with your vegetable seller the next time (maybe can even get them for free) or watch out for some neighbour, maybe he'll have zucchini in his garden...

Dutchess a dit…

When it comes to vegetables and fruit, I'm at the mercy of the supermarket and the Turkish grocer. I might try my luck with the grocer next time.

As for the neighbours.... I can forget about it. As far as I know, no one grows their own fruit or vegetables. We are bit of an oddity since we have 2 cherry trees and a grapevine which bear actual fruit.

P/S: The author of the previous comment was me - I deleted it by accident.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Ha Ha, I know. I told myself, "Eh, she's revealing her name online, maybe we'll get the photo next..."(dancing)
I want to grow something too. Maybe anything that repels insects. If can be eaten will be a bonus.

Dutchess a dit…

How about a Venus Flytrap? That'll do it.

I've learnt my lesson never to post comments late at night when I'm half asleep. LOL. Photos? Be careful what you wish for. LOL.