dimanche, août 01, 2010

Zucchini Blossom Quiche


Zucchini Blossom Quiche

I have missed eating zucchini blossoms (flowers) and have decided to buy a dozen to prepare. The initial plan was to fry them as I usually do, but I didn't feel up to dealing with any frying in the kitchen today and so made a Zucchini Blossom Quiche instead.


I had male flowers this time round and thought that they would look lovely in a quiche. Though I have made a curry for lunch, I still hold dear the French custom of providing a starter to the meal. Plus you have to provide a dish that could accompany one of Hub's wines. Never deprive a Frenchman of a reason to open "a good bottle".

Zucchini Blossom Quiche :

1 round Puff pastry
200g grated Cheese (e.g. Emmenthal, Cheddar, Gruyère, Gouda, Cantal...)
1 small Red Onion (thinly sliced into rings)
1 ripe medium Tomato (sliced into thin rounds)
6-8 fresh Basil leaves
8 Zucchini blossoms
1 dried Bird's eye Chilli (crushed)
4 Eggs
2 Tbsp Crème fraîche
4 Tbsp Milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil
Grated Parmesan cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.

Spread out the puff pastry in an oven-proof dish.

Add the cheese, followed by the onions, tomatoes and basil leaves.

Beat the eggs quickly and briefly with the cream, milk, chilli, salt and pepper. Pour 2/3 of the egg mixture over the tart.


Place the zucchini blossoms on the tart, pour the remaining egg mixture over it and drizzle some olive oil over them.


Bake in the hot oven for 20 minutes, remove to sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the blossoms and return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Serve hot.

5 commentaires:

Ju (The Little Teochew) a dit…

Is this or is this not, too beautiful to eat?!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Ate it we did, especially that daughter of mine who normally wouldn't eat any vegetable. She had 2 slices!

Shirley @ Kokken69 a dit…

Zucchini Blossom - I first heard about such a thing many years ago from a Mexican friend. She had described to me in detail and I was intrigued. I am not sure if we can find it easily in Singapore, though.... if I do, I will attempt this pizza.

Shirley @ Kokken69 a dit…

Oops, I meant Quiche.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi Shirley, thanks for visiting.

I have enjoyed this chance to check out your blog. It's beautiful - and you certainly looked like you could cook :-).