lundi, avril 13, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Day 2009

ML decorated the lovely table

This year (end-March) we celebrated the 2nd edition of the ISM's Teacher Appreciation Day. I particularly looked forward to it (i.e. the lunch) as it meant that Spring's here at last and as the parents get to finish up whatever's left over. And I know that some of the mothers loved the chance to see their kids eating or playing during school hours. Baby Boy for example looked at me sadly when he knew that I wouldn't be doing canteen duty when he would be suffering from more pasta. But I was sure he would survive.

Besides, I was once again charged with organising the lunch. Though this time round I needn't bang gongs to obtain food since the number of dishes required was small compared to what was needed for the Winter Fair. The PTA sent out a general message asking for food, I checked with the staff as to what they would like to eat and then sat around (sort of) and waited for (sometimes encouraged) the food to turn up.


As with anything one can never please everybody. This year, Asian food figured importantly among the starters and main courses while Western desserts dominated the sweets. This from the look of things seemed to figure well with the Staff (who were the Stars for the day after all) - though I heard noises that some people questioned the Asian predominance (though LS' Chili con Carne was way spicier than the curries) in the offering and were twittering about it in the corridor. To that I can only say : I'll be waiting for that Gambas à la Plancha that I've sollicited for and didn't get, not to forget the so many interesting European dishes (besides lasagna) that somebody out there could have made. In fact, I was wondering if it would go down well if I should set up a menu the next time I organise a lunch - and have people volunteer to make the dishes in it. But will definitely be accused of culinary dictatorship. Arrgh.

Some of the mains

Otherwise community lunches are usually great because we cook, serve, eat and clean up together - and learn each time about a new dish.

The desserts!

Myself I made a Vietnamese Beef Salad (too much dressing - turned soggy), 2-way Tofu in Soy Sauce (just for JA actually since tofu's an acquired taste) and Sweet and Sour Pork. Among the dishes we had Egg Curry, Samoussas, Italian Seafood Canapés, Pappadums, Potato Paratha, Vegetable Sambal, Okra, Spicy Stuffed Tomatoes, Vegetable Bryiani, Chicken Korma, Chili con Carne...And the desserts were wonderful, not much left over unfortunately - for us. There was Lemon Meringue Pie, Cheesecake, Gulab Jamun, a sweet Milk dessert, Chocolate Cake, Dark Caramel Cake, Apple Crumble, Mascarpone with Berries, sweet balls...

There were also more than a hundred cupcakes and cookies made by the mothers for all the children in the school! In this I admit that I've lost a little of the who's-being-appreciated bit but the point is that everyone in the school was happy on that day and I hope especially the teachers.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Much appreciated! A mum from school!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

You mean a mom who's a teacher LOL

I will have to educate you to eat tofu though. It's good for your health (*wink*).