vendredi, avril 03, 2009

Ma Po Tofu

Ma Po Tofu

Petite Fleur did one gorgeous yummy one not long ago which sent me into Ma la Tofu frenzy. But mine wasn't bright red like most since I've decided to make my own chilli oil. Just by infusing Thai red chillies and garlic in - olive oil. Turned out quite well and the flavour is fruity and rich without being too oily. But you have to like olive oil which normally isn't used in Chinese cuisine because of its particular strong taste.


I followed her recipe more or less with modifications of my own :

2 blocks soft but firm tofu
Peanut oil
Ground pork
A few raw Prawns (optional but this when used in the sauce base adds taste)
2 cloves Garlic
Spring onions
My own chilli bean paste (Olive oil, thai red chillies, garlic, tau cheo/fermented soy beans)
1 tbsp fermented black beans
2 teaspoons whole Sichuan peppercorns (interesting taste when you bite into one)
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp light soy sauce
Salt
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with cold water

Okra

Knowing that I would be eating lots of jasmin rice with the hot and spicy tofu, I made a simple Okra dish (just ginger-garlic paste, onions, turmeric, cumin and mustard seeds) to go with it. And coutesy of the new Chinese mom in my daughter's class, I also have a few home-made Mantous (Chinese steamed buns) to dip in my sauce...

Steamed Mantous

Update 30/05/2011 : Chef's version here.


4 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Wow, now u must learn to make those mantou.

Anonyme a dit…

The okra and tofu reminds me of the stuff from the Economy stall at the food court. :)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi Vincent, thanks for visiting. Quand j'aurai un moment je visiterai surement votre portail. En ce moment je suis un peu surchargée...

SIG, indeed I will have to work on those mantous, I have a little fantasy about them after growing up on those wuxia movies...:-)

Asaaan, I grew fat on the economy stall staff, don't remind me about them!

Unknown a dit…

WOW (impressed look). Your version looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com