dimanche, avril 19, 2009

Fraisier (Strawberry Cake)

Fraisier

At Baby Boy's birthday party last year, I made a Fraisier with a butter cream filling that was really too heavy. It bothered me for a whole year and I decided to make another one for this year's party - with a much lighter filling. It still wasn't perfect as I couldn't find enough crème fraîche and had to make do mainly with whipping cream. Crème fraîche would have provided more consistency to the cake which turned out too light for my liking. And since I couldn't find a good pâte d'amande (marzipan), I made a chocolate disc to cover the cake - making it difficult to slice it. Otherwise it was a good cake, and I said so as Hub liked it and he's not easy when it comes to desserts.

Baby Boy blowing his candle

Fraisier :

Sponge cake base (sliced into 2 - make your own or buy one)
500g Strawberries
500ml Crème fraîche
1 packet Chantifix
40g Sugar
2 Vanilla pods (or 20g sugar + 2 packets sucre vanillé)
Strawberry syrup
Kirsch (optional)
Pâte d'amande (marzipan)

Bake a sponge cake and slice it into 2.

Drizzle some strawberry syrup and Kirsch onto them.

Whip up the crème fraîche with the Chantifix, sugar and seeds from the vanilla pods till stiff.

In a springform mold, prepare a bottom layer of the sponge cake. Line strawberries (sliced into halves) cut-side facing the sides of the mold. Fill up the middle with the rest of the cut strawberries face-down. Fill up the inside of the mold with the whipped cream. Cover with the other sponge cake.



Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.




When ready to serve, de-mold the cake and place a pink-coloured disc of pâte d'amande on top of it. I didn't have one so I melted some dark chocolate and made a chocolate disc to cover my cake.

5 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Great cake! Wanna try too! What´s "Chantifix" though?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi Pris, it's the same as Sahnesteif or whipping cream stabiliser. Chantilly is whipped cream in French.

Having a good time home, eh? Still so envious you got your tix at such a good price, I want to go home for more than a month and the prices went up to more than 1000 euros per head...

Anonyme a dit…

Could have eaten it all! Deliciuos.
One of the 2 who stayed.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi CF! Well, glad you stayed, though you didn't eat all of the cake :). I ate almost all of your carnevale pastry though when I was at your place!

SIG a dit…

Gorgeous cake, babe. ;)