lundi, avril 20, 2009

Return to the Stove

Rice with Nasi Lemak Sambal Chilli

Sometimes it is good to take a break from cooking on a daily basis. I say that as after not cooking for more than a week (when we were on our ski trip), the return to slaving over the stove (after a difficult start) actually felt inspired. At this very moment, I feel like I could do any dish if I set my mind to it. I'm in such a cooking euphoria I've even subscribed for the first time in my life to a food magazine - Maxi Cuisine - before the enthusiasm fizzles out as usual.


This evening I revisited a favourite dish in the family - Indonesian Beef Rendang. Baby Girl had 3 servings of the rich spicy curry. It took me 3 hours to cook the curry but it was well worth it. Hub really enjoyed it too.

Indonesian Beef Rendang

But it was too rich for me at the moment (I seem to be suffering from some indigestion), so I just had some plain jasmine rice with soft tofu and...Nasi Lemak Sambal Chilli. One jar I brought over from Singapore last year. Some of my new friends who have not been to S.E. Asia may remember my telling them that where I come from, we're very fond of eating our food with chilli purée. So shiok.

3 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Yum yum, I love beef rendang, and it's great your kids love spicy food too. :)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Yeap, I've trained them since they were in the womb. And when they were babies, I would just mix whatever I was eating (curries included) and feed it to them.

The rendang was hot and spicy but Baby Girl ate it with 2 glasses of water! I had to stop her from having more as I was afraid that she would vomit later. Shae is a glutton like me.

SIG a dit…

Lol! Chilli is something that you will just come back to it over n over even though it's not a pleasant experience on the tongue n tummy. It's like a drug. I remember u putting chillies into their fishball noodles soup. Hehe.