jeudi, avril 23, 2009

Char Siu Pau (Honey BBQ Pork Buns)

Char Siu Pau

We had Bake Sale and Book Sale at school this morning. Made more than 2 dozen Curry Puffs. Thinking that most people are healthier than myself, I baked most of them and fried half a dozen. Funny enough, the fried ones were snapped up first. What do you know, ah?

Then I had a craving for Char Siu Pau (Honey BBQ Pork Buns). Baby Boy had a play date with a little girl M in his class and knowing that I would be able to prepare the buns and watch them play at the same time, I decided to go ahead and make them.

Before steaming

I have blogged nearly 2 years ago about my Chicken Buns (Gai Pau) and the recipe for the bun is simple, rapid and really quite good. Baby Girl helped roll out some of the dough for the buns. She said it was like playing with Play Dough.

After

The Honey BBQ Pork I prepared by marinating bite-size pieces of lean pork in some sugar, soy sauce, sherry, plum sauce, 5-spice powder, ground ginger and sesame oil for more than an hour. Then I browned some onions and garlic, added the marinated pork and stir fried till it was almost cooked through. Finally I stirred in some oyster-soy sauce mixed with water and corn starch to thicken the sauce. Left the filling to cool.

Since I had curry puff filling left over, I also made a few Curry Potato and Egg Buns. Baby Girl actually preferred them to the Char Siu Pau.

After this I will try to finish up packing for my trip to London in the morning. I will be away till Sunday. Singapore Day 2009 here I come!

3 commentaires:

One Wheel a dit…

Enjoy the Singapore Day! Let me know what,where to shop/eat/see when you come back!

SIG a dit…

I want those bao! Eat more eat mor eat Singapore Day! Have fun!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

YL, I've sent you an email.

SIG, thanks! I will, dont worry LOL