dimanche, avril 19, 2009

Caramelised Apple Crumble

Caramelised Apple Crumble

It rained. Non-stop since last night. I had Baby Boy's party a month after his birthday hoping that the weather would be good - and it rained. Anyway if I had good luck I would have struck the EuroMillion by now. Should have known.

I have a big house but it contains small rooms everywhere. How to have more than 10 kids in the same space at the same time was the question I constantly asked myself. Besides I'm not like LP, I do not know how to organise party games - especially for 4-5 year olds. The older kids (e.g. siblings who tagged along) on the other hand I could lock them up in Eldest Son's room, he has his own computer with internet access, Playstation 2 etc.

So I had play areas everywhere - like a buffet. Ground floor : Kaufladen, mechanic's work station, toy kitchen, Power Rangers figurines; 1st Floor : Dressing up and make-up, Barbie dolls; 2nd floor : Pirate ship, mini-house (pretend tea party). In case of emergency, I would have screened a video and offered popcorn, but it didn't happen.

I've also planned a parallel party for the parents who stayed : red and white wine, bruschetta, blinis with tarama, apple crumble...Only this time round only 2 mothers stayed. But nothing's lost, I wouldn't have to cook dinner this evening - lots of food prepared in advance.

I made a fusion version of the Apple Crumble this afternoon. France meets England = Caramelised Apple Crumble.


4 Apples (preferably Reinette)
Sugar and water for the caramel
Ground Cinnamon
150g Flour
100g Butter (room temperature)
80g Brown or White Sugar
Oats
A handful of frozen red berries

Heat up oven to 210°C. Peel and slice the apples into 1-cm cubes.

In a Pyrex pie dish, make a caramel out of some sugar and water. When the caramel is ready, remove the dish from the oven and place the apple pieces evenly in the dish. Sprinkle some ground cinnamon all over. Add in some red berries for some acidity if you so wish.


Sift the flour into a big bowl, add in the sugar and soft butter (cut into small cubes). Using the rubbing-in method, rub the mixture with your fingers till you get a dough ressembling bread crumbs. Add in some oats and mix well.

Cover the apples in the baking dish with the crumble. Bake in the hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot with cream or custard.

Hub (after many many crumbles in his younger days having lived a few years in the UK) loved it.

4 commentaires:

Big Boys Oven a dit…

I love this simple cake of yours a lot. crunchy on the top and so fresh inside. Your bakes just so lovely.

Do visit us at our new home www.bigboysoven.com

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

BBO, nothing like the feast for the eye and mouth that you make - but well, I'm only a simple housewife :-)

I've already visited your new home, much more sophisticated, quite an upgrade LOL

Pity you're so far away, would love to master macaron-making with you.

Wayne a dit…

Bravo, Beaulotus, great job on the Apple Crumble! :)

Waynesworld

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Wayne, thanks for visiting!

And do I know you from somewhere?