dimanche, décembre 21, 2008

Another Little Stone (Green for Christmas)

1CT Zambian Emerald, 18K Gold Ring

I know, I am very greedy. And can never really decide. I'm like that too with the kids, which explains why for Christmas Eldest Son will have the Guitar Hero game in a few editions for all consoles from the PS2 to the Nintendo DS Lite. I nearly bought the Yamaha electric guitar set for him too - and barely managed to stop myself.

It was the same with the Winter Fair buffet. I cooked 5 dishes mainly because I couldn't really decide what to cook and ended up cooking almost everything that came to the mind.

And the pile of presents under the Christmas tree is growing each day as I added a new present for this or that member of the family - E asked me why each time she talked to me I was wrapping presents.

All this just to give you an idea as to why I ahem bought myself another stone today.

Since Hub's ex-colleague cheated me of my Columbian emerald 5 years ago, I've been searching for another one, but if there's one stone that's very difficult to buy, it's the emerald. Emeralds tend to be pretty included so finding an eye clean one at a good price is not easy. Then one has to look at the shape, cut, colour, grade etc etc making the task even more difficult. Finding the right emerald in the right setting is not easy either. Because it is an expensive stone, many jewellers imagine that it has to be set among diamonds in elaborate settings - which the Hub finds horrifying (notice I said the Hub, not me).

I saw this ring a few days ago offered by a jeweller based in Israel. It contains only a simple emerald. Natural Zambian, 1 ct tiny stone, AAAA grade, VS clarity (barely eye clean though), olive green colour. He was working on the Sabbath, I was working on the Sabbath, we made a deal with one another. Now let's hope the Italian customs is not going to charge me the earth for it.

Haven't told the Hub about it yet. He hasn't made me a surprise this year I thought I could give him one instead.


Update (14/01/09) : Paid nearly 200 euros to Italian customs even after underdeclaring its value. And they opened the package! Colour is lovely and it's bigger than I imagined, but clarity is so-so.

2 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

That is gorgeous babe! And it's my birth stone.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Well, it's currently stuck in Milano at customs. We've underdeclared its value but I'll still have to pay 30% of custom duties on it. But hopefully now that it's being released I'll get it next week and it'll look as nice as its picture!

So you're a Taurus? Like my Hub and Sis.