dimanche, octobre 14, 2007

Bubur Hitam (Black Glutinous Rice) with Coconut Pearl Sago and Melon

Bubur Hitam with Coconut Pearl Sago and Melon

As you may know, I had to cook everything beforehand. So a simple dessert to make that could go with the meal was my favourite Bubur Hitam with Coconut Pearl Sago. Hubby warned me that the guests may not like it, but then if you didn't try it you wouldn't know, so I went ahead with it.

I have never set eyes on a recipe for the dessert, but in any case have my own way of making it. I like to soak my black glutinous rice overnight in rose-scented water (i.e. water with a few drops of rose water). Then before cooking it I would drain the water and put the rice to boil in normal water (with a knotted pandan leaf if I have it), stirring it from time to time to make sure that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. I do not boil it with lots of water, adding in water from time to time and just stirring and stirring. Only when the rice is cooked and of the consistency that I want would I then add in the sugar. Depending on the desire, I would use white, brown or palm sugar.

The sago basically I put it in boiling water and when the pearls became transparent, I drained them, rinsed them, returned them to some boiling water, added in some coconut milk and sugar.

In the meantime, I would also keep some coconut milk in the fridge so that it would remain creamy.

I served the dessert in layers. A layer of Bubur Hitam, a layer of Coconut Cream and then a layer of Coconut Pearl Sago. And to add more colour to the whole thing, I also topped it with some melon. The melon was actually also there in case my guests should find themselves incapable of eating my dessert. Which happened to be the case of the gentleman who happens to have bad childhood memories of coconut milk and anything to do with tapioca. Poor soul. The lady though attacked the dessert with enthusiasm, thinking at the beginning that it was chendol. Let me say once again that I am really lucky to be born in Southeast Asia. How I love my Bubur Hitam with all of its sago and coconut milk!

4 commentaires:

Pris a dit…

Dear Serene, Thanks for tagging on my blog! I read yr blog regularly still, though don´t always leave comments. So impressed by your cooking skills all the time! How are you adapting to Italy now? You seem to be doing a great job at integrating! Hahha, maybe 10 yrs of living overseas makes one a cameleon. Hey, what do glutinous rice for the bubur hitam look like? The dessert sounds delicious and I wld wanna try it if I can simply find the black rice here. =)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Looks like black rice lor. Just walk into an Asienladen and ask if they have black glutinous rice (hei nuomi in Chinese). You may have better luck at BETA.

As for me adapting, well, I think everywhere is sama-sama for me now. I just try to make the best of the situation.

SIG a dit…

Wow, I don't like bubur hitam but sure like the look of the sago and melon. Slurp!

One Wheel a dit…

I like bubur hitam, nowadays in some restaurants here, they serve it with coconut ice cream! sedap! when you come back, I bring you to eat :)