mardi, octobre 30, 2007

Another Quiet Birthday/ Marital Conversation II

8:00
H : I won't be back for dinner this evening.
M: (One eye open) Ah bon.
H : (Sudden realisation) Oh, it's your Birthday!
M: It's not important.
H : We can always eat out tomorrow.
M: No, forget it, I have to cook up a feast tomorrow for Thursday.
H : We'll have to eat out tonight then.
M: No, it's OK. I'm making Chicken Tikka Masala. (Went back to sleep)

12:00
H : (phone) I've reserved dinner at Europa 92 (Pavarotti's restaurant)
M: Didn't you say you won't be back for dinner?
H : I've cancelled the dinner.
M: Are you sure you can do it? What kind of a dinner is it?
H : No, it's not important. I've cancelled it (Me : raised eyebrows)
M: As you wish.

The difference between Hub and I when it comes to Birthdays is that I've always celebrated it as a kid (e.g. little Lotus at the Zoo with personalised T-shirt etc) and as a young adult, whereas I believe that it has always been a non-event in his family. My sister-in-law (SIL) was born 10 years and 2 days before me and when I asked my MIL a few days ago if they were going to do something for the lady's Bday, she said no without any hesitation. This year, I didn't remind the Hub about his sis's Bday so I am quite sure that he wouldn't remember to ring her and at least send her his good wishes.

Added to Bdays being a non-event is the fact that he wouldn't remember anybody's Bday except his own. Every single time he had to fill out the kids' Bdays on some form, you can be sure to have him call you to check out the dates. And each time he would valiantly try to get them right - but to no avail.

So he is pretty practical on the subject as he is on almost everything else : remember your own Bday, buy your own gift and reserve your own babysitter and restaurant - if you want to celebrate your Bday.

Only he has married a Singaporean girl. And back where I come from, we like to have the best of both worlds, if possible have the cake and eat it too, if you wish.

So I want HIM to remember my Birthday, I want my present, and I wouldn't mind a little celebration too. Or even better, a cake with candles to blow out - like when I was a little girl.

And I really hate it when one doesn't remember when my Bday is, when I have to remind the person, and then receive a prezzie or a cake like some afterthought.

So I've obstinately refused to go hunt for a babysitter and reserve a table on my own Birthday. Or tell him where to buy a Bday cake at the last minute. And I almost never have a present on the day itself - usually it'll be grouped with Christmas and other forgotten occasions and be something I'd buy and then put it down as a present from the Hub.

On a happy note, my dear German penpal didn't forget the occasion though. Never did, as a matter of fact. Sent me an email yesterday though he's really busy. He's a Catholic priest in charge of annulments etc - surely some of them must include forgotten or hastily-remembered Bdays as a reason.

13 commentaires:

Dutchess a dit…

I didn't forget either -

Happy Birthday dear Lotus,
May your souffles always rise
And your pantry never run dry!

last frontier a dit…

Happy birthday dear Lotus,
Happy birthday to you.
I don't have a cake with me,
Nor a candle to light you,
Not even a ring to put in your finger,
Diamonds are expensive and I'm so far away.
If I would ever forget the birthday of my wife she would never, but never forgive me. Probably it would be a signal that I wouldn't love her anymore... Would your hubby change you by a Ferrari or by a meeting with his boss ?

SIG a dit…

Happy birthday dear, and hubs is oh so sweet. I believe he must have cancelled an important dinner. So nice of him. Have a great day!

SIG a dit…

My hubs is the same... he remembers the birthday but you have to get your own present. No element of surprise... Like you, I like surprises too... maybe even a cake... never!

East Meets West Kitchen a dit…

Happy, Happy Birthday to a lovely friend far, far away. May all your days bring you joy, love, and happiness...

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

J, S, D, V - thank you so very much for your good wishes. And for some of you, even that few lines of verse :-).

Sergio, no, actually I have nothing at all for Ferraris, if I ever get hold of one somehow you can be sure that I'll sell it and buy myself something else. As for his boss(es), I've already met them all! What's so interesting about them?

Pris a dit…

Dear Serene, Happy belated birthday too. =) Sorry to read abt your birthday disappointment. I know how you feel, reminds me of my birthday 2006 - first in germany and as a married person - biggest disappointment ever. Will see if this yr is different. Maybe I´ll resort to planning my own birthday party...hahah. PS. You got your Esprit card from the post?

Anonyme a dit…

Pris, I did, thanks. And I was looking at the super neat handwriting and wondering if it was from my Japanese neighbour from Stuttgart...How come you have such frighteningly neat (i.e. Jappy) handwriting?

Pris a dit…

Dear Serene, you are so sweet and funny! Hahaha, I never thought of my handwriting as neat! hahahah...but thanks for the compliment....no idea what Japanese handwriting looks like though! You decided to get anything for your bday present on yr hubby´s account?

BibouMummy a dit…
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
BibouMummy a dit…

Happy birthday again. I've got the same DH as you!!! Where do we find these boys eh? I could send mine to your website and get him to read. If it's any consolation - mine will remember that it's my birthday but won't get anything. He always says he doesn't understand why I can't buy my own gift (since it will be sure that I'll like it!) or tell him what I want. Sigh.

Hornbill a dit…

Hi Serene...happy belated birthday....a very belated one as a matter of fact :-) Sorry, have not been catching up with friends' blogs.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Mag, thanks for the wishes. What's up in Stuttgart nowadays? Have you met Pheng and Pris lately? Whenever I look at my dead or dying plants I will think of your hubby's magic green fingers and wish that I have at least one of them...