mardi, octobre 09, 2007

Tale of Two Soups

Tom Yum Goong (Prawn) Mung Bean Vermicelli Soup

The Hubby has been asking for quite a bit of soup lately and I have had to crack my head as to what to make. As you know, I had been watching TV non-stop the last week so whatever I cooked had to be fast and easy.

Ebi Fry Udon Soup

As I happened to have a few boxes of frozen prawns on hand, I made a few quick Ebi Fries and that set me up for an Ebi Fry Udon Noodle Soup which was similar to this, except that this time around I grilled the zucchini and the surimi beforehand, and added in a fresh egg. I also omitted the celery and accented the light soy sauce and sesame oil and the taste reminded me of the Chuqian Yiding instant noodles, but without the heavy MSG taste, of course. Slurp slurp.

And believe it or not, just a day after the end of my gastric flu I had a craving for something really hot and therefore prepared a Tom Yum Goong Mung Bean Vermicelli Soup. I am all for the fiery red hot version that I had when I was in Bangkok years ago, so I usually make mine that way. And the Babies loved it though it almost killed their tongues eating it.

Tom Yum Soup Base :

Lemongrass stalks
Galangal
Shallots
Garlic
Red Curry Paste (leave it out if you prefer a clearer soup)
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fish Sauce
Palm Sugar
Lime Juice
Chillies
Chicken or Prawn Stock
Fresh Coriander Leaves
Salt and Pepper

Prepare the stock beforehand. When I want to do it fast, I just fry the prawn heads in a little bit of oil and then add in water and an msg-free chicken stock cube. Let it simmer.

In another pot, heat up a little bit of oil and lightly brown the lemongrass, galangal, shallots and garlic. Then add in a tbsp or 2 of red curry paste and fry till fragrant. Add in everything else including ingredients like golden pin mushrooms etc, but not the prawns, vermicelli and the tomatoes. Add these in only towards the end just before serving. Be generous with the lime juice, this soup should be sweet, salty, sour and hot all at the same time.

5 commentaires:

Dutchess a dit…

You're on a roll there, aren't you? Glad to see you back. :)

When it comes to Tom Yam Goong, I'm more partial to the clear ones although I don't mind the red variety from time to time.

Big Boys Oven a dit…

What lovely inviting dish!

SIG a dit…

You can get those crabsticks in Italy? Wow!

East Meets West Kitchen a dit…

Beautiful Duet!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

J, I'm back but hardly as I've loads to do! I wish I have more time or can work faster, I'm too slow!

Big Boys Oven, thanks! I am discovering your blog, you have interesting dishes and bakes.

Singairishgirl, I know, I'm quite surprised to find them here too!

V, you cracked your coconut I cracked my head, huh? LOL