vendredi, mars 09, 2007

Shoes Shoes Shoes (or Dress Your Feet While You Still Can)


Hubby left to work in Italy last Monday and that marked the beginning of 4 months of him being away from home in the week. I have loads to do everyday, so I guess that it doesn't make much of a difference as to whether he's around or not. Except when you expect him to be back on Friday night and you receive a call from him on Thursday informing you that he is meeting Michael Schumacher on Friday afternoon and can only return home on Saturday. That can really get a girl down. I want those kids to go whinge at their father instead of at me for a change. And the father in question is not cooperative enough.

It is fortunate that shopping still manages to help me de-stress. I had a 2-hour shopping trip to Metzingen yesterday and as usual didn't leave empty-handed. On this trip, I had my biggest harvest from Hugo Boss : 3 pairs of shoes and a dress. And two skirts and a leather bag from Escada. Plus a Cashmire sweater from Polo.

Why this obsession with shoes? Actually those who see me everyday only see me in my old pair of boots (that cannot be zipped up entirely because of the thick calves). And I don't think many here have yet to see me in a dress, I'm mostly in jeans.

I suspect that this has to do with the extra 15 Kgs that I have been living with ever since I've had Baby Girl and Baby Boy. With the spare tyres on the skeleton, clothes often look unflattering, so I hide myself in pullovers and jeans. The cold weather here in Stuttgart does not help either. Brèf, morale is often low and I do not usually feel good or attractive.

But shoes take on a life of their own. As long as one does not have bloated ankles and/or varicose veins :-). So assuming that I've somehow escaped that, I'm at least left with feet to dress up and I do so with reasonable abandon. As in I buy the shoes with pleasure and then keep them in my wardrobe waiting for the rest of the body to arrange itself to be able to go with the shoes.

I do not know of course why I insist on buying heels when I do not know how to walk in them. I also do not know why I only buy Summer dresses when we live in Germany where if you're lucky you'll have Summer for 2 months in the year. I guess that I must be quite perverse as a person. Or thick. Or unrealistic. Or escapist. Or stubborn. Whatever.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my shoes. And for the moment, that's what matters.

PS : As for bags, needless to say, no matter how fat one is, one can still find a crook to tuck the bag in.

10 commentaires:

Hornbill a dit…

Nice shoes you got there :-) I have been to Metzingen once with some girlfriends few years back but didn't find anything which I fancy.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Mag, Juergen is a lucky man that you should be so difficult to please :-). At least you won't be burning holes in his pocket...

last frontier a dit…

I think that with the money you spend every time you go shopping I would spend 5 star holidays in paradise !!!
My wife wouldn't mind so much if I was out 4 months during the week as far as she had my credit card around either...
Why does woman need to go shopping to de-stress ? I only need to go biking or drinking a beer... It's much more economic...

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Shopping is visual, sensorial, physical and hormonal. Only for the initiated. Happy Girl = Happy Wife = Happy Palette = Maybe Happy in Bed etc.

My man is starting to understand that. Now, when he wants to motivate me for some reason, he tells me that he knows of some Outlet shopping village where I could go spend his money...:-)

Dutchess a dit…

You said it, beau lotus! They don't call it retail therapy for nothing.

Last month in Spain, I came away with shoes, bags and clothes. I had to sit on my suitcase to get it to shut. Mind you, I started out with a half empty one at the beginning of the trip.

Btw, I like the tan pumps. Schön!:)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Ah Dutchess, shopping in Spain is usually quite gratifying. I am curious to know what treasure you've found yourself there. Always good to find inspiration from people with better taste.

You'll need me to sit on your suit case.

last frontier a dit…

You're lucky that you both have wealthy husbands. My wife has to de-stress with her poor money because mine has to pay the bills !!!
Lucky girls you are ! My wife is always complaining that she doesn't have enough money to buy all the clothes she desires... Well, as a matter of fact I think that women always desire more than we can ever offer... you are always not satisfied with what you have...

Hornbill a dit…

After reading what Serene and Dutchess had said...hmmm...I have a feeling that I am not 'normal' cos I am contented with what I have and whenever I go shopping, I will always ask myself these questions...'Do I really need this shoes?' 'Do I wear this dress after I buy it' or 'Are these a necessity?

My husband is always the one who told me, buy whatever you wish and don't worry about the price, as long as it's good quality. Hmmmmm.....may be I should take up his advice and start burning holes in his pocket, huh? :-)

Dutchess a dit…

Magdeline, sometimes after a shopping spree, I'd tell my husband he's now got to take me somewhere nice so I can wear my spoils of war. LOL.

I have to clarify something. I'm not a shopaholic. I do have dry spells where for weeks, even months, I go without wanting to buy anything. However, when the mood strikes, it really strikes, then I go mad while my husband's wallet shrinks in terror. But to my credit, I don't buy rubbish but rather, classic things which lasts several seasons.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I don't know about you, but chez moi shopping of course comes after the bills have been settled.

Actually I disagree that women are never contented with what they have. I think rather that men do not know what they want.

They want a wife who knows how to take care of herself e.g. look good in the kitchen, in the office, on an outing, in the salon, in bed... And then of course they imagine that she can achieve that wearing the same thing all the time.

Dressing up is not just for myself. It's an expression of how good I feel about myself, my environment and weirdly enough, my relationship with my Hubby. And how people look at me in a way also reflects on his capacity to provide and inspire :-).

I guess that unlike men, women are also more subject to fashion and that's the way it is.

And like Dutchess said, if we watch what we buy (classic styles, good quality, good price...), they can keep for ages. Some can even be sold later on through 2nd hand shops and Ebay. And the others given away - another way to recycle and do charity.